Northeast Overland

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northeast Overland is Maine's leading self reliant adventure travel community in the Northeast Region of the U.S. Led by a Registered Maine Guide, you can be sure that you'll have an unforgettable adventure all while we TreadLightly!

+28
vtrover
wntrcmpr
Gryphon
TangoBlue
Stevesimpson6
scrowley
WLFFGreg
cthulhu
missfire
Team Harrington
Lazzm
sjh3
rapovt
richcz28
joopjku
yves rodrigue
Barrows
Modeler
myoverlandrover
Mr. Mike
steewoz
ZiMM
bicyclemayhem
REDrum
AllanR
sourek
booth9c1ss
MtnClimber
32 posters

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose' Ride

MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose'  Ride - Page 15 Empty Re: Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose' Ride

Post by MtnClimber Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:27 pm

joopjku wrote:Hey guys, anyone that knows the area around Bingham...Are there any places to get a good lobster, or do we need to do that out by 95 before we start headed inland?
    What route are you planning on taking to get to Bingham?
    REDrum
    REDrum

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose'  Ride - Page 15 Empty Re: Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose' Ride

Post by REDrum Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:34 pm

Our team is welcoming to any solo trucks looking for companionship on route, we are friendly to all brand trucks....except Nissan Patrols those guys are freakin' weirdos.
    joopjku
    joopjku

Post by joopjku Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:12 pm

[quote="MtnClimber"][quote="joopjku"]Hey guys, anyone that knows the area around Bingham...Are there any places to get a good lobster, or do we need to do that out by 95 before we start headed inland?[/quote]
    What route are you planning on taking to get to Bingham?[/quote]

95-23-104-201. We will be coming from PA, NJ and NY in our group.
    myoverlandrover

Post by myoverlandrover Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:23 pm

joopjku wrote:Hey guys, anyone that knows the area around Bingham...Are there any places to get a good lobster, or do we need to do that out by 95 before we start headed inland?

I have no idea about lobsters in bingham but im in york maine which is exit 7 after you come into maine and if you get off the exit, take a right toward rt .1 and then a right on route 1, go through 2 lights and right after the second exit on your right is a lobster wholesale place I recommend. You can either get them in a paper bag and throw them in a cooler or they will sell you a small Styrofoam cooler with gel pack that will last till dinner time that night. Now thinking through it we should of done a lobster cookout thursday night...I lobstered the last 4 years part time and can get boat prices...
    Barrows
    Barrows

Post by Barrows Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:00 pm

The staff talked about it and we really love lobster, however with this being the premier ride we decided to forgo it at this time. However I have idea for a Lugs and Bugs ride for next year..... Twisted Evil 
    TangoBlue
    TangoBlue

Post by TangoBlue Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:19 am

Barrows wrote:The staff talked about it and we really love lobster, however with this being the premier ride we decided to forgo it at this time. However I have idea for a Lugs and Bugs ride for next year..... Twisted Evil 

You're going to forgo lobster because this is a premier ride?

What the hell are you going to feed us that's more premier than lobster? Should I bring my tuxedo and top-hat for this Mr. Richey Richpockets?  Laughing 

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:30 am

It was more a logistics kinda thing.  We've done the lobster thing for a few of us on one of these types of rides before and with the amount of people and what goes with it, it just wasn't gonna work out for our first run.  It was thought of and we welcome everyone to grab some either on the way up or on the way out if they choose, but to feed the majority with seafood, especially lobster is an undertaking.  The other thing we have to think about is the wildlife and what it brings with it.  With the awakening of the black and brown bears in this area, being able to get rid of the smell and items quickly and efficiently has a whole new meaning to it.  They will think nothing of ripping apart a tent, cooler or campfire in search of food, even if your in or near it.

Here's a good place to look if you'd like to swing and grab some.

http://www.lobsterfrommaine.com/visitmaine.aspx

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:38 am

Ok all,  so here it is.  3 nights before go time and we are all excited to get out and explore the area and enjoy ourselves for a nice long weekend of riding in the Northern Maine Woods.

Just a few last minute things to go over and reiterate.

First.  NMW is a very vast area as mentioned, and part of the ultimate challenge is just to get up in the area, be able to navigate and know where you are (no cell service) as well as keep your rig in one piece to be able to get home on Sunday.

ROADS-   Currently the roads are peppered with pot holes (<---what a rhythm) and weathered and may offer a bit of challenge for those who are not used to this.  It isn't easy going but there are times when large crevices are marked or not marked in the road by sticks and one just has to be careful that they don't lose their front end when hitting these too hard.  Keep a keen eye out for these areas and for the most part follow the tracks that are set forth in front of you and you shouldn't have any too many problems.  This brings up a good point on vehicle maintenance and stability.  During the time that we did the pre-run (2 days) one of our vehicles did end up wearing through a suspension part.  Ultimately we were able to keep going, but this terrain and roads will tear your suspension up in a hurry so just make sure you do a once over prior to leaving for the trip.

COOK OUT!-  To show our appreciation for those who are making a long trek up for the trip, night one we will be showcasing some great eats with local flavor as we are throwing the members a cook out on Thursday!

On tap will be Grass fed lean burgers from Gray Maine with local Maine red hot dogs as well as Maine Baked Beans and a few other fixin's.  We will be starting the BBQ at around 6 so please be there by then and bring an appetite if you're eating with us!  We will have plenty to feed the masses.

Here are some special notes and reminders of the ride:

Day 0-  Thursday.  Check in will be anytime from 5 onward and camping sites will be on a first come first serve basis.  We will provide each team with a CB channel assignment and a few other items to keep everything on track.  The meeting spot is  N 45 06.167 W 69 45.689. We will also have information we will go over on Thursday for safety briefings and the like.  Co-ordinates are one hour from Skowhegan, Three hours from Portland, Two hours from Bethel.

Day 1- Up and at 'em as early as you'd like.  We will not be doing designated leave times, but know your own pace and know what you'd like to accomplish for the day. We will provide an end coordinate and a time we'd like people into camp that evening.  The rest is all you. Day 1 will be some tight trails and some good roads to explore.  Know that we will have a designated route each day that people can take and enjoy that doesn't require excessive amounts of driver skill.  It will allow those who want to get out and explore the area to take their time within reason, and still make it to camp in plenty of time.

Day 2-  Day two will be a fun day of driving.  Participants will be allowed to pickup the pace a little and stretch out the legs of their rigs while piling on the miles.  This will be the best opportunity for people to go out and explore. Although we don't have designated challenge spots this is the time to check out all the offshoots and really get out and find the challenges of this land if that's what you're looking for.  There are tons of roads, two tracks and trails that will get you into some thick areas of challenge, but there are so many that plotting them on a map would be impossible. Be aware of gates (these will show in the Gazetteer) and other areas that may hinder your abilities to get to some areas.  You may end up walking in to particular areas due to this very reason.  This is the day that we will enter through the Telos Checkpoint and participants will need to pay to enter for the day as well as for camping that evening.  Make sure you have cash!! There are going to be fees to get in, plus stickers, clothing, etc. Cash is king in this area especially if you need help for some reason and no one is "around".  Its amazing what a few dollar bills can do to help one out in a sticky situation.  Oh yeah and the check point has ice cream sandwiches.  Nice little treat after a few hours ride.  One other thing, you NEED TO KEEP YOUR PAPERWORK RECEIVED FROM THE TELOS CHECKPOINT TO EXIT.  We cant stress this enough.  They will not let you out without paying a premium.  Seriously, of all the things to make sure that happens, this is the one on the top.  It can ruin your day in a hurry if you can't make it out on Sunday due to lost paperwork.

Day 3-  This will be a great day that will allow people to get to our final destination of Pittston Farms where we will disperse to our respective homes.  Here we will have a final meet and greet and it is highly suggested people stop in and meet the locals and get some delicious homemade pie and ice cream!  Some of the best you'll have I would say.  Here there is food and warmth as well as a place to hang out before your long trek home.  Flush toilets and free hot shoerws as well. We will have a little surprise before departure so please make sure that you can make it between 12:30 and 1pm to the Pittston Farm area.

Fuel-  Fuel is at a premium right now.  As of this last week end Pittston Farm will not have a ton of fuel as they can't get the gas truck up the roads because of their condition.  PLAN ACCORDINGLY.  We will not be supplying fuel for people who ran out because they didn't plan well enough.  As an aside, I normally get 300 miles out of a tank of fuel on road (2010 FJ Cruiser) and I barely hit 200 miles and was on fumes.  Please bring at least 10 gallons of fuel with you.  We are making this a mandatory requirement so no one ends up being stuck for a gas stall which is just plain silly.  Plus, fuel right now is currently sitting at $4.79 per gallon at Pittston Farms.  There will be ample fuel at Indian Hill on day 1 when you come up through or in Greenville if you choose to stop there as well. Both are on the way.
    AllanR
    AllanR

Post by AllanR Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:40 am

Take it from me, Last year on a Labor day Weekend ride, I lost my paperwork some where.. I never found it. But it was not an easy task getting through a check point, Or leaving. And They were not happy with me.

Get your paper work and put it some where it will not fall/fly/sink/evaporate/be thrown away/grow legs.

Your paper work is your key to get in an out and around this place. Treat it like a $500 bill
    cthulhu
    cthulhu

Post by cthulhu Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:29 am

TangoBlue wrote:

What the hell are you going to feed us that's more premier than lobster?  Should I bring my tuxedo and top-hat for this Mr. Richey Richpockets?   Laughing 
    LOL!

Lobster isn't as "premiere" in Maine as it may be down south. It's also more affordable & tastes much better/fresher.

You'll see Wink
    joopjku
    joopjku

Post by joopjku Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:35 am

Thanks Myoverland and Boozah, I think that will do for finding somewhere.

Great info post too!!!
    cthulhu
    cthulhu

Post by cthulhu Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:37 am

Hmm, my 2 gas cans hold 8gal total...I guess I am going to be fabbing up a mount for a 3rd real quick!
    booth9c1ss
    booth9c1ss

Post by booth9c1ss Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:38 am

cthulhu wrote:
    TangoBlue wrote:

What the hell are you going to feed us that's more premier than lobster?  Should I bring my tuxedo and top-hat for this Mr. Richey Richpockets?   Laughing 
    LOL!

Lobster isn't as "premiere" in Maine as it may be down south. It's also more affordable & tastes much better/fresher.

You'll see Wink

Right. Up here you can get live lobster at most grocery stores. It's kinda no big deal for us locals.

I think what Matt meant was inaugural event. This is our first year hosting such an event with so many people. Cooking lobster involves boiling large amounts of water, large pots, etc. and disposal of the shell/remains would be a challenge.

You can bring your tux if you'd like... just soak in deet first. Very Happy

Steve
    WLFFGreg
    WLFFGreg

Post by WLFFGreg Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:48 am

cthulhu wrote:Hmm, my 2 gas cans hold 8gal total...I guess I am going to be fabbing up a mount for a 3rd real quick!

I was lucky enough that a coworker has a 4 gallon Rotopax that I can borrow. That'll put me at 14 gallons... should be enough. I hope. Lol
    myoverlandrover

Post by myoverlandrover Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:39 am

I have 8 gallons but its diesel and I get 25-30 MPG so do I get a pass on the mandatory 10 gallons?
    cthulhu
    cthulhu

Post by cthulhu Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:06 am

I can just throw the swingout back on, with 2 Ex1 Geri's and a standard jerrycan that gives me 13 gallons. With my siphon I don't even have to lift the cans to refuel.

Take that, recommended requirements!
    WLFFGreg
    WLFFGreg

Post by WLFFGreg Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:37 am

Lol nice Rich.  I've been wanting to look at your swingout anyways.  

Now you've got plenty of extra to bail me out!

Just following Google maps alone puts us at 185 miles with the information provided. Depending on route taken, time wheeling and unexpected events, I'm glad I've got the 14 gallons.

Now at least I don't have to with about fuel. My biggest concern at this point is getting my dog to eat on the trip. She's got some metal issues... doh!
    booth9c1ss
    booth9c1ss

Post by booth9c1ss Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:39 pm

cthulhu wrote:....

I haven't taken the HAM test yet but it should happen before this event, and I have a Baofeng UV5R that I am bringing in addition to the CB radio.

Did you get a chance to get this done?  I'm KC1BSS and I think SteveSimpson6 is a also licensed.

I will be monitoring 146.52mhz on Thursday.
    cthulhu
    cthulhu

Post by cthulhu Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:06 pm

I didn't have time to take the test but my studying is done. I am bringing my Baofeng UV5R for emergencies and can monitor channels at least.

My schedule is a monster this year. After this trip we have a 1.5 day downtime and then out for another 5 days in North Carolina on the southern outer banks.
    scrowley
    scrowley

Post by scrowley Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:21 pm

All this gas talk makes me nervous.  My Cruiser 80 is heavy and thirsty.  I will have 10 gal. as spare and I am guessing this will be enough.  I would need to get better than 5.2mpg avg to make it 185 miles.  Thinking I got it. At least we won't need the AC. Supposed to be nice mild weather.
    WLFFGreg
    WLFFGreg

Post by WLFFGreg Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:46 pm

scrowley wrote:All this gas talk makes me nervous.  My Cruiser 80 is heavy and thirsty.  I will have 10 gal. as spare and I am guessing this will be enough.  I would need to get better than 5.2mpg avg to make it 185 miles.  Thinking I got it.  At least we won't need the AC.  Supposed to be nice mild weather.

Well my 185 mile guess was via Google Maps.

I would anticipate that we won't be following many of the roads they had suggested... probably going to be more like 200-250 as was originally suggested.

My FJ is also getting a bit chubby (5000lbs w/o gear or my wife and I), and the trailer is also a porker... I'll hit the scales before I leave, but would be willing to bet my gross is around 8500. If you're concerned about fuel, I'd see if there is another can you can borrow, or maybe you can join a team that's fuel heavy... I am willing to bet Rich and I will have -plenty-. We're all camping together, so I'm sure we'll be doing a group check on supplies and such every night.

Greg

cthulhu
    cthulhu

Post by cthulhu Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:34 am

Most likely I will carry 10 gallons. I loaded the truck tonight with everything except camping gear & food and the weight is adding up fast. Too heavy is a bad thing. My suspension gets a workout as it is. Throwing more weight on multiplies the forces on components. Cut the fat where you can!

Post by Guest Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:17 am

10 Gallons should suffice for everyone, I just dont want to see people getting sidelined for something so simple. It's our duty to inform you guys of the status of the gas stations in the area. We want you too be sustainable but fuel is a precious commodity in this area and not being informed could potentially ruin the ride. Having the thought in the back of your mind that a little more space being taken up and a few extra pounds for a portion of the ride is worth the piece of mind.
    booth9c1ss
    booth9c1ss

Post by booth9c1ss Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:45 am

33 hours.  I suspect some of you may be starting your journey today.
    AllanR
    AllanR

Post by AllanR Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:16 am

Have fun guys. It'll be a blast. Can't wait to see everyones pictures and trip/event reports.

My first time up north I took something like 300 pictures in 4 days.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 11:25 am