Northeast Overland

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northeast Overland is Maine's leading self reliant adventure travel community in the Northeast Region of the U.S. Led by a Registered Maine Guide, you can be sure that you'll have an unforgettable adventure all while we TreadLightly!

+4
MtnClimber
ZiMM
vtrover3
Admin
8 posters

Northeast Overland's First Annual Wicked Waterfall Ride

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Northeast Overland's First Annual Wicked Waterfall Ride Empty Northeast Overland's First Annual Wicked Waterfall Ride

Post by Admin Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:22 pm

Are you looking for a scenic Overlanding trip for the whole family that can provide incredible views, plentiful hiking into hidden waterfalls, and just the right touch of off pavement exploration? The Wicked Waterfall Ride will check off all those boxes and more!

We took one of last years most prolific social media adventures and made it WAY better. The great State of Maine has upwards of 100, yes, ONE HUNDRED WATERFALLS and we want to take you to see some of the best all while adding some fun off-road exploration time in between them!

Our adventure will include scenic overlooks, short hikes into some of the most amazing waterfall views, and quaint villages that beacon to be explored. We will ensure that pavement is the last thing that enters your mind as we venture in, around and over some of Western Maine's greatest landmarks.  

Northeast Overland's First Annual Wicked Waterfall Ride Coos-Canyon

What: Northeast Overland's 1st Annual Wicked Waterfall Ride

When: Friday, May 26th to Monday, May 29th 2017 (Please arrive between 4 and 6pm of Friday night!)

Where: Western Maine

Meeting Location: Mt. Blue Trailhead Weld, Me (Delorme Map 19, C3) For those of you who like to use coordinates: 44°43'20.0"N 70°21'41.5"W  OR  44.722214, -70.36153
        For those of you that need an address: 297 Center Hill Rd, Weld, ME 04285, then follow these signs to the shelter:
    Northeast Overland's First Annual Wicked Waterfall Ride 18423745_804052709763406_7306240207822559202_n

What to bring: Your street legal and well maintained 4WD vehicle, warm clothing, camping/sleeping/cooking provisions, basic extrication equipment (no chains!), food & water, spare parts/tools/knowledge, camera/batteries, etc. We will not quiz you on your stuff, you are all responsible adults, however we will be making sure you have the required equipment for every ones safety.

Required Equipment:
     • 5 AT or MT tires & tools to change a flat (this means a full-size spare (5 of the same size))
     • Front and rear tow points
     • Properly tuned & working CB radio
     • Fire extinguisher
     • First aid kit; sufficient for the amount of people in your vehicle
     • 2013 or newer Maine Atlas & Gazetteer
     • At least one GPS per vehicle (handheld or street)
     • Basic tool kit for your vehicle

Recommended Equipment (in addition to the required list):
     • Tire repair kit, and/or compressor
     • Winch or come-along
     • Vehicle specific parts + tools
     • Warm clothing, bugspray & rain gear
     • Spare parts for CB/Ham (radio, mic, cord, antenna)
     • Spade shovel, Hi-Lift, straps (no hooks on the straps and no chains!)
     • Toilet paper
    • A good pair of hiking boots and your camera!

Northeast Overland's First Annual Wicked Waterfall Ride Sprintime-at-Smalls-Falls-near-Rangeley-Maine1

What to Expect: We will be traveling mostly on well-built logging roads and some old grown-in roads with a limited amount of paved ways in between. Some "roads" are riddled with ginormous rocks (think boulders) and 4Lo will be used!! The occasional washout is to be expected as well. 4WD is required, bring something with decent ground clearance (we're talking 6-8" minimum) and positively, absolutely no dual rear wheeled vehicles. We can't stress this last one enough as some of the roads become very tight and narrow bridges will be crossed that will not support a dual wheeled vehicle. Some of the area to be covered is very remote and that needs to be respected. Spotty cell service is to be expected as well.

All dogs must be leashed and or secured at all times. No free running or roaming around at all for everyone's comfort and safety. It's very easy to set up a runner for them as you can easily stretch a rope from tree to tree and use their leash as the runner. Or just attach them to your vehicle (when it's not in motion..). There are many different ways to secure one's beloved dog so as not to disrupt anyone's time during the event. Kids are not required to be leashed, however, adult supervision is requested at all times. Cats and any other animals/pets should be left at home. Thank you for your understanding.

Camping will be in a different location each night, the ole point-to-point style. And with that being said, camping will be provided on Friday night right at the base of Mt. Blue hiking trail at the shelter provided by Mt. Blue State Park! We will have a drivers meeting at 0900 on Saturday morning so those that can't make it Friday night will be able to join us. The tour will end midday on Monday to allow people ample time who have to travel a great distance to get back home.

Ride Fees: Non-refundable $100 per vehicle (not per person!). There is only a 10 vehicle limit, so be sure to get your spot! Routes are subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances. Payments will be accepted via PayPal to northeastoverland @ gmail . com
    Please put in the notes who your are; full name, this event (WWR), and also include your screen name please!

This three day adventure is not one to be missed!

Northeast Overland's First Annual Wicked Waterfall Ride DSC_3803
    vtrover3
    vtrover3

Northeast Overland's First Annual Wicked Waterfall Ride Empty Re: Northeast Overland's First Annual Wicked Waterfall Ride

Post by vtrover3 Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:15 pm

im in for this, bringing the fam along for this, 2yr old and 3 yr old.

Northeast Overland's First Annual Wicked Waterfall Ride Empty Re: Northeast Overland's First Annual Wicked Waterfall Ride

Post by Guest Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:02 pm

vtrover3 wrote:im in for this, bringing the fam along for this, 2yr old and 3 yr old.

Awesome! It's going to be a great time!

Post by Guest Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:54 am

I'm in with the girlfriend, reserving my spot today!

Should we expect to see more pavement or dirt? I'm coming from SW Mass so I'd prefer to run my AT's for the long drive, but if it'll be more dirt then I'll leave the MT's on...

*EDIT: Just looked at the calendar and realized I have a wedding in FL that weekend Crying or Very sad Will try and make the summer fun run instead!

Last edited by strangerranger on Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:57 am

strangerranger wrote:I'm in with the girlfriend, reserving my spot today!

Should we expect to see more pavement or dirt? I'm coming from SW Mass so I'd prefer to run my AT's for the long drive, but if it'll be more dirt then I'll leave the MT's on...

I think for this particular trip you'll be fine with the AT's, given that they have a decent amount of tread Wink
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:58 am

We still have a few spots left! Get yours today before it's too late!
    ME OFF Rd
    ME OFF Rd

Post by ME OFF Rd Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:10 pm

Just signed up
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:16 pm

ME OFF Rd wrote:Just signed up

Thanks James!

Post by Guest Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:13 pm

I just signed up for this trip! Smile

Post by Guest Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:53 pm

Mongoose Maine wrote:I just signed up for this trip! Smile

Thanks and can't wait to get out in the woods!
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:52 am

vtrover3 wrote:im in for this, bringing the fam along for this, 2yr old and 3 yr old.
    Don't forget to register (thru paypal) if you're coming along as spots are filling up!!
    ZiMM

Post by ZiMM Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:17 pm

another cool trip, you guys package some interesting excursions, wish i was closer!
    NBMike

Post by NBMike Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:04 pm

Just registered. Coming from Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada. Looking forward to it!
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:12 am

NBMike wrote:Just registered.  Coming from Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada. Looking forward to it!

Thanks Mike!! What do plan on driving for this adventure? Bringing any family with you?

Post by Guest Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:13 am

NBMike wrote:Just registered.  Coming from Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada. Looking forward to it!

Can't wait to see you! Definitely gonna be a good trip.

Smatts
    Smatts

Post by Smatts Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:50 pm

Ticket purchased!

Post by Guest Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:12 pm

Yessah!!

Post by Guest Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:48 pm

should we bring extra fuel for this trip or will there be places to stop along the way?
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:15 pm

Mongoose Maine wrote:should we bring extra fuel for this trip or will there be places to stop along the way?

What's the low end of your fuel mileage range?

Post by Guest Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:55 am

I have a 10gallon tank and it depends how I drive, on average I get about 220 miles out of a tank.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:00 am

I'm back in, Just registered.

Mongoose Maine wrote:I have a 10gallon tank and it depends how I drive, on average I get about 220 miles out of a tank.

I'm in the same boat as Mongoose, I consistently get about 220-230 miles out of a tank in the FJ (17 gallons). I have the ability to carry extra fuel if needed, so I'm curious what the fuel stop situation will be and if I'll need to.

MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:07 am

Mongoose & Stranger, you two both should be all set. If it makes your mind rest easier, bring some extra fuel, it never hurts. We shouldn't be travelling that far out of fuel range Very Happy

Payment received Mason, thanks!

Post by Guest Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:54 pm

How many spots left for this run? Might have one more vehicle to come up with me if there are still sports left.
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:15 pm

strangerranger wrote: How many spots left for this run? Might have one more vehicle to come up with me if there are still sports left.

4 spots as of right meow

Post by Guest Tue May 02, 2017 10:33 am

I'm a veteran of backpacking and camping, but fairly new to the whole overlanding thing (This being my first multi-day group trip). That said, what's the standard for meals? Quick breakfast in camp, lunch on the road/trail, and back in a camp again for dinner? My co-pilot and I are in the process of planning our meals.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:31 pm