Northeast Overland

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northeast Overland is Maine's leading self reliant adventure travel community in the Northeast Region of the U.S. Led by a Registered Maine Guide, you can be sure that you'll have an unforgettable adventure all while we TreadLightly!

+28
vtrover
wntrcmpr
Gryphon
TangoBlue
Stevesimpson6
scrowley
WLFFGreg
cthulhu
missfire
Team Harrington
Lazzm
sjh3
rapovt
richcz28
joopjku
yves rodrigue
Barrows
Modeler
myoverlandrover
Mr. Mike
steewoz
ZiMM
bicyclemayhem
REDrum
AllanR
sourek
booth9c1ss
MtnClimber
32 posters

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose' Ride

scrowley
    scrowley

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose'  Ride - Page 11 Empty 2day

Post by scrowley Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:25 pm

Couple questions..?

-How are the diff. routes available set up?  Is there a map handed out with all routes with difficulty levels?  

- What's are the attractions you speak of along the way?  

Can't wait.  Going to be a great time.
    Barrows
    Barrows

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose'  Ride - Page 11 Empty Re: Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose' Ride

Post by Barrows Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:51 pm

The map with have pinpoints and a suggested route . You may want to take a detour or explore and that is encouraged. These detours will be marked on some of the maps. The sites and attraction are part of the adventure and you will find them soon.
    scrowley
    scrowley

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose'  Ride - Page 11 Empty Re: Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose' Ride

Post by scrowley Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:11 pm

I think I just might add the fishing pole and tackle to my "to bring list"
    wntrcmpr
    wntrcmpr

Post by wntrcmpr Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:26 am

MtnClimber wrote:Spare bearings are a great idea. Mine crapped out shortly after it was new...

Should have maintained them a little better.....lol
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:36 am

wntrcmpr wrote:
    MtnClimber wrote:Spare bearings are a great idea. Mine crapped out shortly after it was new...

Should have maintained them a little better.....lol

Right? My bad for thinking they'd come packed with grease...  Rolling Eyes 

scrowley, I'd recommend your fishing tackle  Wink
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:49 am

scrowley wrote:Couple questions..?

-How are the diff. routes available set up?  Is there a map handed out with all routes with difficulty levels?  

- What's are the attractions you speak of along the way?  

Can't wait.  Going to be a great time.

Maps w/a suggested route (along w/ different routes) will be handed out each morning.
    The different attractions and that nights camping spot will be located on the maps with coordinates to each. You'll want a handheld GPS, comfortable hiking boots, and a camera!
    booth9c1ss
    booth9c1ss

Post by booth9c1ss Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:49 am

scrowley wrote:I think I just might add the fishing pole and tackle to my "to bring list"

I would encourage this, the fishing up there is legendary.  So are the game wardens.  Make sure you have a legal maine fishing license.  

Possession of fishing tackle in the fields or forest or on the waters or ice of this State without a fishing license is prima facie evidence of fishing in violation of the law.

In-state guy, you know what to do.  Outta staters, Non-resident licenses are available where licenses are sold.  If you're trucking up I-95, you'll pass Kittery Trading Post in Kittery (around exit 3?), Cabelas in Scarborough (around exit 45?), and if you take 295 to avoid some of the tolls, LL Bean in Freeport (exit 20-22 off of I-295).  They are also available at several local stores, WalMarts, etc.  One of the potential stops on our route (Friday) will take us to a store that has them available (along with grocery provisions, fuel, and supplies).

Maine has a single-day and three-day licenses available that would probably be best for you.  They also have 7-day, 14-day, and seasonal licenses available.

For more information and to purchase online, visit maine.gov/ifw
    cthulhu
    cthulhu

Post by cthulhu Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:17 am

Delorme is having that atlas & gazetteer sale again. 50% off.
    Use coupon code 10071 at checkout! Ends 6/10.
    Barrows
    Barrows

Post by Barrows Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:18 am

^Thanks!^
    richcz28
    richcz28

Post by richcz28 Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:02 pm

I saw mention of gas stations previously. Do folks know if they sell diesel?
    Barrows
    Barrows

Post by Barrows Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:31 pm

Yes, many do as it is a major area for the forestry industry. You might want a spare gas diesel can.
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:37 pm

richcz28 wrote:I saw mention of gas stations previously.  Do folks know if they sell diesel?
    The last place that sells diesel will be on Friday morning. There will not be any places until Sunday afternoon, depending on your route home. Which could be 200-200 miles from station to station.
    richcz28
    richcz28

Post by richcz28 Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:52 pm

MtnClimber wrote:
    richcz28 wrote:I saw mention of gas stations previously.  Do folks know if they sell diesel?
    The last place that sells diesel will be on Friday morning. There will not be any places until Sunday afternoon, depending on your route home. Which could be 200-200 miles from station to station.

Ok, I hold about 25 gallons in my tank. I average 16-18mpg. I can usually go about 400 miles depending on elevation climbs and idling time. How much extra fuel do you recommend?
    Barrows
    Barrows

Post by Barrows Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:57 pm

Well, does your rig aways get 16 to 18? What about when it is in 4low?
    richcz28
    richcz28

Post by richcz28 Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:09 pm

Barrows wrote:Well, does your rig aways get 16 to 18? What about when it is in 4low?

I use an almost immeasurable amount of fuel at slow idling speeds. I would guess I burn about a gallon every 2 hours max while crawling.

I see a lot of smaller rigs and people pulling trailers, so I'm guessing 4 hi and 4 low will not be used very often on this trek unless my team decides to venture into more challenging areas. Judging by the mileage expected to be covered each day, I'm picturing unmaintained class 5 or 6 roads (I don't know how Maine rates them).
    Barrows
    Barrows

Post by Barrows Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:19 pm

Ok, I would say bring two extra 5gal cans, it is better to have too much then not enough.
    richcz28
    richcz28

Post by richcz28 Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:23 pm

Barrows wrote:Ok, I would say bring two extra 5gal cans, it is better to have too much then not enough.

Will do, thanks.
    WLFFGreg
    WLFFGreg

Post by WLFFGreg Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:49 pm

I'm playing around with a new app, Backcountry Navigator Pro for the android os.  Seems okay so far... going to give it a better test next week...

Here is a screen shot of:
    Start
    Finish
    B-52 site
    Fuel stops
    Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose'  Ride - Page 11 06-06-14_20-38-09_zpsmxtrmgwc
    Stevesimpson6
    Stevesimpson6

Post by Stevesimpson6 Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:06 pm

Guess who has two thumbs and just passed his Ham Radio Technician license test...... This guy! KM4BXS is on the air - woohoo
    WLFFGreg
    WLFFGreg

Post by WLFFGreg Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:11 pm

Wahoo congratulations! Hopefully we won't need it up there but it's a heck of a safety blanket!
    cthulhu
    cthulhu

Post by cthulhu Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:30 pm

Congrats!
    booth9c1ss
    booth9c1ss

Post by booth9c1ss Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:21 am

Stevesimpson6 wrote:Guess who has two thumbs and just passed his Ham Radio Technician license test...... This guy! KM4BXS is on the air - woohoo  

Congrats.  Do you have any equipment yet?  

I recently got my license too (KC1BSS), and managed to time it well with a bonus at work.  I have a TYT quad band mobile radio, a permanent (drill a hole in your roof) NMO antenna mount, and a browning dual band antenna. On a recent test (trial) of the equipment and installation, I spoke to a guy over 40 miles away, and it was crystal clear... Like FM radio.

And yes, my Blazer is starting to look like an antenna farm (FM, CB, 2m/70cm)

Steve
    Stevesimpson6
    Stevesimpson6

Post by Stevesimpson6 Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:35 am

Thanks guys!
    I have a kenwood tm-261 and 2m/70cm antenna but still doing some fine tuning
    booth9c1ss
    booth9c1ss

Post by booth9c1ss Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:36 am

WLFFGreg wrote:I'm playing around with a new app, Backcountry Navigator Pro for the android os.  Seems okay so far... going to give it a better test next week...

Here is a screen shot of:
    Start
    Finish
    B-52 site
    Fuel stops
    Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose'  Ride - Page 11 06-06-14_20-38-09_zpsmxtrmgwc

When downloading maps/aps, include all of Piscataquis county. As a reference, include Allagash lake.
    WLFFGreg
    WLFFGreg

Post by WLFFGreg Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:56 am

OOooh now were getting somewhere! Thanks for the advice! I'm thinking larger microSD cards are in my future... I'll have about 8gb of maps when I'm done it looks like!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 11:40 pm