Northeast Overland

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northeast Overland is Maine's leading self reliant adventure travel community in the Northeast Region of the U.S. Led by a Registered Maine Guide, you can be sure that you'll have an unforgettable adventure all while we TreadLightly!

+28
vtrover
wntrcmpr
Gryphon
TangoBlue
Stevesimpson6
scrowley
WLFFGreg
cthulhu
missfire
Team Harrington
Lazzm
sjh3
rapovt
richcz28
joopjku
yves rodrigue
Barrows
Modeler
myoverlandrover
Mr. Mike
steewoz
ZiMM
bicyclemayhem
REDrum
AllanR
sourek
booth9c1ss
MtnClimber
32 posters

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose' Ride

MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose'  Ride - Page 2 Empty Re: Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose' Ride

Post by MtnClimber Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:58 pm

We still have some spots left!!
    bicyclemayhem
    bicyclemayhem

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose'  Ride - Page 2 Empty Re: Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose' Ride

Post by bicyclemayhem Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:00 pm

"What to expect: We will be traveling mostly on well built logging roads and some old grown-in roads (Some more closely resemble ATV trails)." Just a quick question on this. Do you have an idea of a percentage of well built logging roads vs old grown in roads/trails we will be traveling on? so if for instance each day we traveled 100miles and 90 were on well built logging roads and 10 were on trails it would be 90%/10%? Also do you know about how many total miles we will need to go without a fuel stop?

MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:45 pm

Friday we'll pass by a place for groceries, fuel, and last minute supplies. Sunday we'll end up at Pittston Farms where 87 octane is sold a bit higher than market price (due to the extensive travel into the woods). Between fuel stops will be roughly 250-300 miles. I've done this w/a fully laden XJ (2 spares and a RTT) and was running on fumes when I got to my next fuel stop. Basically just to see if I could do it. But I also had extra fuel with me. I've also been up there where the extra fuel was needed to get out of the woods.

AFA well built vs. grown in I'd say 70/30
    bicyclemayhem
    bicyclemayhem

Post by bicyclemayhem Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:51 pm

Very good info thanks! I get about 150 off road miles to my 20 gallon tank, so I will need lots of jerry cans to make this work!
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:55 pm

NATO style Sceptor cans are highly recommended by Steve (booth9c1ss). He's had one full of fuel in the back of his Blazer for the past month with no hints of stinky gas fumes.
    Available on ebay in varying conditions. A good used one runs about $40.
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:22 pm

Only 6 spots left!!  Exclamation 

Post by Guest Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:07 pm

Fuel is one of those things that is a necessary evil and should be top of the list. Just throwing this out there. But mechanical issues happen and no one wants to be stuck at Pittston Farms with no fuel and their pumps arent working. Unless your good at bargaining for fuel with others.... Razz 
    Mr. Mike
    Mr. Mike

Post by Mr. Mike Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:51 pm

Not gonna lie, I've traded gas for beer before in the woods...
    myoverlandrover

Post by myoverlandrover Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:06 pm

Thinking about signing up but just called and Pittston Farm and they do not have diesel and said rockwood was the closest pump. I can carry a few cans with me but not sure if that would be enough....
    Modeler
    Modeler

Post by Modeler Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:15 pm

MtnClimber wrote:Only 6 spots left!!  Exclamation 

Six teams or three teams?

Barrows
    Barrows

Post by Barrows Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:58 pm

myoverlandrover wrote:Thinking about signing up but just called and Pittston Farm and they do not have diesel and said rockwood was the closest pump. I can carry a few cans with me but not sure if that would be enough....

From what I remember that is well over twenty miles one way from Pittston Farms, how many spare tanks do you have?
    booth9c1ss
    booth9c1ss

Post by booth9c1ss Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:30 pm

Modeler wrote:

I believe registration is by team... so six teams left.
    myoverlandrover

Post by myoverlandrover Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:36 pm

Barrows wrote:
    myoverlandrover wrote:Thinking about signing up but just called and Pittston Farm and they do not have diesel and said rockwood was the closest pump. I can carry a few cans with me but not sure if that would be enough....

From what I remember that is well over twenty miles one way from Pittston Farms, how many spare tanks do you have?

None as of now but I can easily add a couple 5 gallon cans on the outside and I get 25mpg plus so 250 miles of extra fuel
    Barrows
    Barrows

Post by Barrows Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:40 pm

That would be a great idea. What does your rover have for an engine? TDI?
    myoverlandrover

Post by myoverlandrover Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:16 pm

Yes
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:23 pm

Modeler wrote:

6 team spots.
    Modeler
    Modeler

Post by Modeler Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:06 am

MtnClimber wrote:
    Modeler wrote:

6 team spots.

Thanks for the info, just wanted to clarify. Working on getting two teams together.
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:21 am

Awesome Modeler!!
    yves rodrigue
    yves rodrigue

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose'  Ride - Page 2 Empty Deisel

Post by yves rodrigue Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:09 pm

Im good for about 375 miles with a full tank plus 150 more miles with a 5 gallon jerry can = 525 miles do i am good with that ?
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:11 pm

yves rodrigue wrote:Im good for about 375 miles with a full tank plus 150 more miles with a 5 gallon jerry can = 525 miles do i am good with that ?

Gasoline or diesel?
    Should be fine either way.
    yves rodrigue
    yves rodrigue

Post by yves rodrigue Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:17 pm

deisel . How many place left(trying to get some quebecker in)? Is it possible to know whos gone be there ? Did you said there be campground fee or it's wild camping every night? Thank
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:21 pm

6 team spots left, wilderness camping (but NMW fee's do apply for Sat, Sat night, & Sunday. North Maine Woods fee schedule)
    joopjku
    joopjku

Post by joopjku Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:06 pm

Hello all,

Just sent in payment for a team. Have a JKU and a H3T ready to go. Looking forward to the run.

Mike

Post by Guest Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:25 pm

Excellent. I have received payment and your slot is reserved! CANT WAIT! Its gonna be a good time.

Edit: Only 5 team spots left!
    booth9c1ss
    booth9c1ss

Post by booth9c1ss Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:37 pm

Please click on the picture to see the Maine.gov link:

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose'  Ride - Page 2 Bookmarkfront

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:02 am