Northeast Overland

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northeast Overland is Maine's leading self reliant adventure travel community in the Northeast Region of the U.S. Led by a Registered Maine Guide, you can be sure that you'll have an unforgettable adventure all while we TreadLightly!

+26
WLFFGreg
Wolftaco
4lowco
Six sons
Bob Freda
clymber
ZGriswold
awb1976
muffinman
Backwoods
Admin
rapovt
JKNY
hard2kill
proper4wd
Vtrover5
Mr. Mike
overez
cthulhu
REDrum
Lazzm
Cbrown413
Wolfman
TacoVT85
PJF24
joopjku
30 posters

Northeast Overland's 3rd Annual 'Moose on the Loose'

hard2kill
    hard2kill

Northeast Overland's 3rd Annual 'Moose on the Loose' - Page 3 Empty Re: Northeast Overland's 3rd Annual 'Moose on the Loose'

Post by hard2kill Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:49 pm

You can always trailer your rig to Rausch creek not to an overland event part of the challenge is to build a rig that will get you there, through the shit, and back home... We all "run what we brung" so find a way to carry tools,parts,coolers,water,fuel,recovery gear,first aid,spare tires and put that all in one rig and drive it on up...but don't show up with a trailer
    Wolfman

Northeast Overland's 3rd Annual 'Moose on the Loose' - Page 3 Empty Re: Northeast Overland's 3rd Annual 'Moose on the Loose'

Post by Wolfman Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:55 pm

My partners rig just doesn't go over 50 mph that's y we were planning on trailering the 400 miles up. No big deal. We will still be there.
    hard2kill
    hard2kill

Post by hard2kill Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:03 pm

Even the old 70's rovers drive up Very Happy
    Wolfman

Post by Wolfman Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:07 pm

I'm Not worried we will make it. Was just asking a question. Didn't mean for everyone to get their panties in a bunch. My rig does 90mph no problem. My partner was worried about his rig topping out at 50 on the highway.
    clymber
    clymber

Post by clymber Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:22 pm

hard2kill wrote:
    clymber wrote:If anyone has to bail I would be more than willing to take your spot. I will be moving to VT within the next 2 months and since I dont kow any of the trail or people out there this would be a good way to meet ppl and learn some of the area
    so if you have to bail sorry but good for me    let me know

Welcome the the east coast....judging from your pic your grow out west?

Grew up in Jersey and moved all over. We moved to CO from VT and have came to the conclusion that we are east coast ppl. Will be strange having to deal with mud and wet rocks instead of wash board roads and dust bowls.

As for sitting in the passenger seat that would be a tough thing to do for me. Every vehicle o have ever been in doesn't handle that well from the passenger side and the brakes suck
    rapovt
    rapovt

Post by rapovt Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:35 am

Moxie says," Hey Tiberius, did you see all the other dogs coming? Should be a dog gone good time!!!"
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:11 pm

Howdy all,
       As with any type or style of Overlanding trip or event, trailered rigs are highly discouraged as it really takes away from the Overlanding aspect of the adventure. Overlanding vehicles should be chosen for the entire adventure and to get to-n-from any destination, with the journey included. Your chosen rig should be designed for slow crawling thru alder ridden goat paths, waist deep water fording, massive bouldered trails and deep muddy ruts, to some high speed dirt roads which can contain miles of horrendous washboard and or dusty so thick it'll be blowing out your vents for years to come. We really try to include a little taste of everything Maine has to offer and on occasions, our trips have (and will) included sustained 55 mph speeds as some of the most scenic mountainous views can be found along these routes.
    In this particular scenario, our beginning and end points are hundreds of miles apart. Our end point will be near a State Park area, well away from any types of civilization and cell phone reception.
    We also understand some vehicles speeds may top out fairly low compared to our daily drivers and we've taken that into account by having our end point farther South than our starting area.
    We hope that all who have signed up for this wonderful adventure, can and will be able to attend. But fear not, for as history has shown, there are always a few that cannot make it as the event nears and they have had absolutely no troubles finding replacements. For there are always a few people chomping at the bit to snag up the first available spot.
    hard2kill
    hard2kill

Post by hard2kill Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:51 pm

Can't wait to see what's in store for this year!!!!
    Wolfman

Post by Wolfman Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:53 pm

Looking forward to it.
    Backwoods

Post by Backwoods Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:17 pm

Who lives up in Maine that's going on the Overland challenge That lives within 50 miles of the starting point either east west or south Comments please
    hard2kill
    hard2kill

Post by hard2kill Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:11 pm

Backwoods wrote: Who lives up in Maine that's going on the Overland challenge   That lives within 50 miles of the starting point either east west or south   Comments please

What do you need help with?
    WLFFGreg
    WLFFGreg

Post by WLFFGreg Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:39 pm

Backwoods wrote: Who lives up in Maine that's going on the Overland challenge   That lives within 50 miles of the starting point either east west or south   Comments please

I'm about 200 miles from the start.... northern NH. Quite a bit closer to the finish. Anything I can help you with?
    muffinman
    muffinman

Post by muffinman Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:41 am

I'm probably one the closes to the start of this event what might you need?
    awb1976

Northeast Overland's 3rd Annual 'Moose on the Loose' - Page 3 Empty Hello, I'm Aaron...

Post by awb1976 Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:12 am

Im part of team Rock Bottom 4x4 from Spencer Massachusetts, We cant wait for this event!!!!! I have one question, it didn't see it in the requirements or suggestions. Do we need a snorkel setup? My Jeep has a SOA setup on 36"s.
    Thanks

Post by Guest Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:13 am

There is no requirement for a snorkel.
    awb1976

Post by awb1976 Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:18 am

Thank you
    WLFFGreg
    WLFFGreg

Post by WLFFGreg Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:18 pm

awb1976 wrote:Im part of team Rock Bottom 4x4 from Spencer Massachusetts, We cant wait for this event!!!!! I have one question,  it didn't see it in the requirements or suggestions. Do we need a snorkel setup? My Jeep has a SOA setup on 36"s.
    Thanks

Snorkels are great for all the dust that you'll incur - as for deep water fording, just make sure your breathers for transmission/transfer case/axles/diff locks and so on are relocated, use caution and walk through any water first if you can't see the bottom. For dust, I use a black nylon over the head of my snorkel, that actually knocks down the vast majority that would accumulate in your air filter. If you don't want to go that route, bring a couple spare filters and an air compressor. Yes, the dust can be that bad!!!
    hard2kill
    hard2kill

Post by hard2kill Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:16 pm

Definitely bring one or 2 air filters !!! And make sure you seal up your doors and top or make sure you bring a mask the dust is no joke up there!!!

ALSO HIGHLY RECOMMENDED IS A REAR FACING LED LIGHT SO PEOPLE BEHIND YOU CAN SEE YOU THROUGH THE DUST..... Tail lights disappear almost instantly

Post by Guest Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:09 pm

Agreed, a dust light is highly recommended for all vehicles, and per John's suggestion, we will put it on the recommended list. It's always nice to have a high point of reference when your traveling in a group.

ZGriswold
    ZGriswold

Post by ZGriswold Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:07 pm

cthulhu wrote:
    proper4wd wrote:TEAM #9: Fly Fish and Chill

Adam Check - 2014 Nissan Xterra (Bolton MA)         Zack Griswold - 1995 LR Discovery (Burlington VT)
    Well, there goes the neighborhood...

The MNW needs some more diesel fumes Smile
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:02 pm

Backwoods

Post by Backwoods Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:46 pm

Does anyone know the exact location of the ending point of this three day trip Does it end in New Hampshire or does it end in Maine and what town

Post by Guest Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:50 pm

We end in northern NH this time around. Unfortunately, per our usual stance, we don't provide the details of the ride until each morning's driver's meeting. Also, as is with any ride of this magnitude, circumstances change and we may or may not need to change the ending location between now and June. Laughing
    hard2kill
    hard2kill

Post by hard2kill Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:16 pm

This is part of the fun!!!! Not knowing where you'll end up each day that's we build our rigs to handle everything.... Bring 10gal of fuel,plenty of food and water extra parts,tools and fluids etc etc etc.... You'll see everything from thick dust to deep mud, hard pack roads and wash boards at 60mph, to 4ft deep water crossing.... Another reason no one trailers there rig, "run what you brung"
    hard2kill
    hard2kill

Post by hard2kill Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:02 pm

Who else has a big list of work to do before this years run???
    -replace tcase
    -buy and mount my spare tire
    -tub,cut,weld my inner front fenders
    -re seal my rear diff
    -continue to upgrade my led's
    -work out a better way to transport my gear(minimize my gear)
    -new mounts for my jerry cans and water cans
    And if time and money allows I want to have my new wrap around rear bumper with tire swing out fabricated

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:54 pm