Northeast Overland

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northeast Overland is Maine's leading self reliant adventure travel community in the Northeast Region of the U.S. Led by a Registered Maine Guide, you can be sure that you'll have an unforgettable adventure all while we TreadLightly!

+28
vtrover
wntrcmpr
Gryphon
TangoBlue
Stevesimpson6
scrowley
WLFFGreg
cthulhu
missfire
Team Harrington
Lazzm
sjh3
rapovt
richcz28
joopjku
yves rodrigue
Barrows
Modeler
myoverlandrover
Mr. Mike
steewoz
ZiMM
bicyclemayhem
REDrum
AllanR
sourek
booth9c1ss
MtnClimber
32 posters

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose' Ride

MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose'  Ride Empty Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose' Ride

Post by MtnClimber Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:30 pm

Northeast Overland is proud to present its first annual Moose on the Loose expedition adventure in the State of Maine.

The background for this adventure is set in Maine’s own North Maine Woods, a 3.5 Million acre area that encompasses the northwestern most part of Maine on the Canadian Border. This area is some of the most remote in the country and sustainability for days upon days is the setting for an epic adventure that some may not return the same from.

This expedition will challenge both man and vehicle as we wind our way throughout hundreds of miles of tote roads, logging roads, two tracks and the like. The stability and capability of both machine and driver will be tested as there is literally nothing along the way that can provide help or solace in a time of need. All items should be carefully thought of when brought along as the balance of items that will break vs. the extra load and space they take up is a futile battle in ones mind. One should have a fully capable rig and ensure that most wear item parts are replaced prior to their eventual demise if they are worn or not up for the task of the harsh environment that this neck of the woods can offer.

The terrain will challenge everything your vehicle has on it from electrical to suspension, from washboard sections for miles to water crossings that could leave your rig stranded and abandoned for days.

But the trip is one for the ages. The rewards of scenic views from atop of mountainous ranges where your vision can soak up hundreds of miles of untouched territory, to the rich history of some of the planned stops along the way that will be embedded in your mind for years.

This expedition is a culmination of many trips that the NEO staff has attended for years and we’ve decided to combine the knowledge of all parties and create a challenge that we believe will be epic.

What: Northeast Overland's Moose on the Loose Ride

When: Thursday, June 19th to Sunday, June 22nd, 2014

Where: Piscataquis and Somerset counties in Maine.

Meeting location: Route 16 in Bingham/Mayfield, 5pm. (N 45 06.167 W 69 45.689)

What to bring: Your street legal and well maintained vehicle (4WD required), warm clothing, basic extrication equipment, camping/sleeping provisions, food/water/fuel, spare parts/tools/knowledge, camera/batteries, etc.

Required equipment:
    •5 tires & tools to change (this means a full-size spare)
    •Front and rear tow points
    •Working CB radio
    •Fire extinguisher
    •Basic First aid kit
    •Fuel container (5 gallon recommended)
    •Current Maine Gazetteer ('09 or newer, 11's and 13's are available)
    •At least one handheld GPS per team
    •Basic tool kit

Recommended equipment (in addition to the required list):
    •Another full-size spare tire (for a total of six)
    •Tire repair kit, fix-a-flat, and/or compressor
    •Spare parts for CB (radio, mic, cord, antenna)
    •Vehicle specific parts + tools
    •Anti-bug stuff (spray, netting, permethrin clothing)
    •Toilet paper
    •Snacks & water
    •Compressor, shovel, Hi-Lift

Ride fees: $125 per vehicle, two vehicle teams (total $250 total, not including NMW fees below). Tickets will go on sale Jan 2nd, 2014. Tickets will be sold as team packages, so please have your team decided prior to purchase. There is a 10 team limit, so be ready to get your spot!

NMW fees: There is a fee for access and camping in the North Maine Woods. For this trip; Maine residents: $24, Non-residents: $36 (Sat day, Sat night, Sun day) Fees are per person and collected at the checkpoint as you pass. US funds recommended. For fee schedule and other information, check out the North Maine Woods website.

What to expect: We will be traveling mostly on well built logging roads and some old grown-in roads (Some more closely resemble ATV trails). 4WD is required, bring something with high ground clearance and skid plates. This area is very remote and that needs to be respected. No cell service, no parts stores, complete self-reliance. This is why we are doing teams. This is for your safety.

This won't exactly be full-size friendly. A full-size truck will fit, but the trees on the side of the trail are encroaching, and "pinstriping" is likely, especially with a larger vehicles. Day one will involve trails/roads that are narrow in spots. Day three may include obstacles that are easier with a shorter wheelbase. Any vehicle is welcome (subject to NMW rules), but be aware.

Inter-rig communication will be by CB radio. Channels will be assigned Thursday evening.

Expect to be sharing some of the roads with large over-sized, over-weight, speeding trucks that will not move from the center of the road.

Gather your equipment well ahead of the event so that you know how to use it. We will not quiz you on your stuff, you are responsible adults. A GPS used incorrectly can send one off-course. Cell phones are useless in Northern Maine and cannot be relied upon. Other navigation tools: a 2009 or newer Delorme Maine Atlas and Gazetteer, a compass, daily maps given to participants.

Generally the roads can be very dusty if dry or very muddy if wet (surface only, from the wet dust/silt). Some of the lesser quality side roads may have very poor and unstable surfaces (read: you will sink to your frame before you can say "oops!"). M/T tires are preferred due to the terrain, though A/T tires will suffice. 30" - 33" are the norm. We recommend you bring two spare tires...flat tires are common.

Camping will be point-to-point style, meaning that we will be in a different location each night... plan accordingly. The first night will be Northeast of Bingham (Maine Gazetteer map 30). Participants will be given coordinates for Thursday night early spring. We plan to stop to get last minute supplies and top off the fuel on Friday afternoon.

Fuel and food available in Greenville at market price, Pittston Farms sells fuel at above market price.

Bring an article of blaze orange... We want you to be found if you wander off.

Last edited by MtnClimber on Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:47 am; edited 15 times in total (Reason for editing : Added coordinates)
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose'  Ride Empty Re: Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose' Ride

Post by MtnClimber Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:44 pm

Some photo's from previous adventures in the area.

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose'  Ride DSCN5303_zps84ebfc47

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose'  Ride DSCN1224

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose'  Ride 100_3040_zps321a3b7b

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose'  Ride 100_2985_zpsed35ec93

Last edited by MtnClimber on Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
    booth9c1ss
    booth9c1ss

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose'  Ride Empty Re: Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose' Ride

Post by booth9c1ss Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:04 pm

A video from a previous year

Video credit to Max XJ

Notice that the logs are wider than the axles by about 4'? These trucks are 8' wider than highway semi's and they don't slow down for bridges. These guys are haulin' lumbah.

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose'  Ride Logging-truck-golden-road
    sourek
    sourek

Post by sourek Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:24 pm

Most likely in, when do you have to confirm by?

Edit: Sorry just spotted it!
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:05 am

Paypal payments can be sent to northeastoverland@gmail.com

Don't wait to sign up, spots will fill up fast! Your Paypal receipt will be your ticket!

Last edited by MtnClimber on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
    sourek
    sourek

Post by sourek Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 pm

My VOT partner can't commit to this event. I would love to go, but I'm not sure either. If I could find a possible partner, I could work on making this happen. My car would be prepped for VOT by this date.
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:02 am

Oh BTW, there will also be some cool prizes in the end and a catered cook-out one of the nights  Cool 
    AllanR
    AllanR

Post by AllanR Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:33 am

As much as I would like to do this. I'm going to have a 1 month old at home with a wife who is recovering from a C-Section. Can't leave her that soon to fend for 2 kids. So No Dice for me. Just bad timing.
    REDrum
    REDrum

Post by REDrum Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:20 pm

Were in! Need to sign up and find second truck

Post by Guest Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:55 am

Perfect REDRum we have you on the list with Team Name. It's gonna be a blast!
    booth9c1ss
    booth9c1ss

Post by booth9c1ss Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:33 am

sourek wrote:My VOT partner can't commit to this event. I would love to go, but I'm not sure either. If I could find a possible partner, I could work on making this happen. My car would be prepped for VOT by this date.

REDrum wrote:Were in! Need to sign up and find second truck

You could team up if you want, or independently find teammates and have two teams. Smile

REDrum
    REDrum

Post by REDrum Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:07 am

booth9c1ss wrote:
    sourek wrote:My VOT partner can't commit to this event. I would love to go, but I'm not sure either. If I could find a possible partner, I could work on making this happen. My car would be prepped for VOT by this date.

REDrum wrote:Were in! Need to sign up and find second truck

You could team up if you want, or independently find teammates and have two teams. Smile

Thanks, giving teammates from VOT13 first refusal, since we are not doing VOT14.
    bicyclemayhem
    bicyclemayhem

Post by bicyclemayhem Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:16 pm

Hey All, New here on NE Overland, navigated on last years VOT and am thinking about doing this event in my 84' land cruiser. I have been super interested in exploring the north maine woods so the timing couldn't be better. I'm wondering if this event is set up similar to VOT where 2 truck teams all set out individually and end up at that nights camp spot or will it be more of a 20 truck line up? If we will be navigating ourselves is the route mapped out, or do we just get to the camp site using the atlas and gps using any route that works?

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:52 pm

One thing we learned from VOT was that the allowing people to leave on their own leisure is the best medicine. And we will be implementing this.

One thing we will be letting people do is to "make their own routes' so to speak to the designated spots that we need them to be at by days end. People will be allowed to take whatever route they'd like to take but there will be "places of interest" and "check points" that will need to be seen/attended in order to be considered for some of the prizes in the end.

We want people to be able to read a map and use whatever tools they need to take make the trip up through this very vast, remote area. Remember, there will be no cell service and the abilities to update maps and the like will likely be impossible.
    sourek
    sourek

Post by sourek Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:02 pm

How does it compare to VOT? Harder or about the same? If I can even make it (which I would love to), I'm not sure if I'll even be ready for it experience wise. I don't want to hold anyone back either.

Post by Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:55 pm

I think it will have many similar aspects but it is a very different area as well. The best part of having multiple teams, and a team mate while out on the trail is that no one is left behind, no matter what their experience or skill level. We will have staff that will be coordinating and making sure that everyone has an enjoyable experience, but we aren't going to hold peoples hands either. The general rule of thumb is that everyone should be at camp prior to each evenings "hopeful" get together to sit around and enjoy the days stories and experiences before setting out an another adventure the next day.

Similar to VOT, the one thing you cant control is the weather and this could keep things very interesting in the areas that we plan to attend during this run. Just plan accordingly, read as much as you can and have a positive attitude and I dont think you will have any problem succeeding in the mission that is conquering the great Northern Maine Woods.
    ZiMM

Post by ZiMM Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:06 pm

i just saw this today, and id love to see no mans land main. i may need a second truck. my usual second truck is a family man and i doubt he can commit, but i'll run it past him.

if hes out and i can get a second rig (partner) here, i will pay, and if for some reason i have to drop, someone can fill my slot no charge. i've never actually dropped out of an event i paid for, so its not likely, but right now i cant say 100%.

if anyone is looking, i'm not here frequently, but you can PM zimm on expedition portal.
    sourek
    sourek

Post by sourek Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:31 am

ZiMM wrote:i just saw this today, and id love to see no mans land main. i may need a second truck. my usual second truck is a family man and i doubt he can commit, but i'll run it past him.

if hes out and i can get a second rig (partner) here, i will pay, and if for some reason i have to drop, someone can fill my slot no charge. i've never actually dropped out of an event i paid for, so its not likely, but right now i cant say 100%.

if anyone is looking, i'm not here frequently, but you can PM zimm on expedition portal.

I'm interested, but like I posted earlier I can't commit just yet. I need to figure out and decide soon and then I'll be able to answer for sure.

Post by Guest Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:25 pm

Down to 7 spots open. Get in today!
    bicyclemayhem
    bicyclemayhem

Post by bicyclemayhem Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:21 pm

This looks like a great event! Will it be wilderness camping or at authorized camp sites?
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:23 pm

Wilderness every night!
    bicyclemayhem
    bicyclemayhem

Post by bicyclemayhem Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:37 pm

Awesome!
    AllanR
    AllanR

Post by AllanR Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:09 pm

FYI- Bring CD's/MP3's. There is no radio up there (maybe some 105.1 wtos) But besides that. NOTHING until the tail end, And then its a Canadian radio station with a mix of french and American. Pop and Canadian rap. Its interesting.
    steewoz
    steewoz

Post by steewoz Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:37 pm

Just to clarify, there are 7 individual spots remaining, not 7 team spots remaining, correct?

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:30 pm

7 Team spots. So 14 rig spots.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:40 am