Northeast Overland

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northeast Overland is Maine's leading self reliant adventure travel community in the Northeast Region of the U.S. Led by a Registered Maine Guide, you can be sure that you'll have an unforgettable adventure all while we TreadLightly!

+28
vtrover
wntrcmpr
Gryphon
TangoBlue
Stevesimpson6
scrowley
WLFFGreg
cthulhu
missfire
Team Harrington
Lazzm
sjh3
rapovt
richcz28
joopjku
yves rodrigue
Barrows
Modeler
myoverlandrover
Mr. Mike
steewoz
ZiMM
bicyclemayhem
REDrum
AllanR
sourek
booth9c1ss
MtnClimber
32 posters

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose' Ride

Lazzm
    Lazzm

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose'  Ride - Page 9 Empty Re: Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose' Ride

Post by Lazzm Tue May 27, 2014 10:37 pm

Guys, I run a iPad ..for GPS feature make sure it's cellular capable model, cellular doesn't need to be made live even for gps to work. Offline maps are what we will need....from painful experience I learned.....using a low cost app called MapsWithMe which let you download states to work in conjunction with GPS and no internet service.....seems good but haven't done Moose on the Loose yet!
    myoverlandrover

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose'  Ride - Page 9 Empty Re: Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose' Ride

Post by myoverlandrover Tue May 27, 2014 11:21 pm

I'm in the process of setting up a new ipad mini with GPS and running http://gps.motionx.com/. If you don't have a GPS ipad etc you can always buy this to convert it http://bad-elf.com/. Motion X is simple to use and you can download maps for offline use and can even use differnt maps from various sources (delorme, usgs etc). This guy has some great videos on how to set things up and download custom maps
    http://tlcfaq.com/main/2013/08/motion-x-custom-maps/ and
    cthulhu
    cthulhu

Post by cthulhu Wed May 28, 2014 6:07 am

There's a couple apps I use you guys can try & look for:

Avenza PDF Maps (those of you on VOT already have this) (free, some maps are pay some are free)
    Maplets ($3.99 -- maps are free)
    MotionX is really good but usually requires internet connection. You will "run out of map" at some point and not be able to download more "squares."
    Google Maps is still my favorite, but like the above, without internet you're up the paddle without a creek.

I haven't found anything yet that works off the grid except Avenza and Maplets. If someone knows of something, please share!

Also -- Maplets has maps of Rausch Creek Off Road Park that are GPS enabled. A bunch of us tried it last week and it was really nice.
    cthulhu
    cthulhu

Post by cthulhu Wed May 28, 2014 6:09 am

All that said, I use the iPad but have a Garmin handheld in a RAM mount on the dash w/ both topo and street maps. I've tried laptops, netbooks, tablets, phones and they are all great but the only reliable navigation off-the-grid is a map or a true GPS. I had little or no service is Ashland county last time I was there. We brought a satphone for emergencies.
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Wed May 28, 2014 7:09 am

To help with shopping for app's and such, there will be no cell service for most of the trip.
    A street GPS and a handheld are recommended.
    REDrum
    REDrum

Post by REDrum Wed May 28, 2014 7:35 am

Lazzm wrote:Guys, I run a iPad ..for GPS feature make sure it's cellular capable model, cellular doesn't need to be made live even for gps to work.

myoverlandrover wrote:Motion X is simple to use and you can download maps for offline use and can even use differnt maps from various sources (delorme, usgs etc)

For GPS, the above approach is we are planning.

This is based on an understanding that the GPS feature in a iPad mini will locate where you are on a 'paper' [static] map, pre down loaded into it, w/o internet G3/4 connectivity. Similar to how we all ran VOT. MotionX seems to provide that capability.

Can someone with slightly more experience chime in please?

Also, as much as I am gear-head, (and took two classes of Arc-info in collage), DeLorme is my best friend.
    rapovt
    rapovt

Post by rapovt Wed May 28, 2014 8:55 am

Heard good things about GAIA. Anybody use it?
    Stevesimpson6
    Stevesimpson6

Post by Stevesimpson6 Wed May 28, 2014 9:37 pm

$16.49 on Amazon.com - free 2 day shipping.

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose'  Ride - Page 9 <a href=Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose'  Ride - Page 9 Img_3314" />
    cthulhu
    cthulhu

Post by cthulhu Thu May 29, 2014 7:56 am

I got a nasty surprise when I went to gather some camping gear out of the trailer. The "waterproof" container I had stored some things in had a leak I didn't see Sad it was out there for the last few weeks too.

Some odds & ends camping gear that is easy & cheap to replace was lost -- no big deal or cost.
    The worst was we lost 2 sleeping bags to mold/mildew. No hope of saving them.

Funny thing is, they were cheap Coleman sleeping bags, nothing expensive/fancy but I must have had them 15 years? Or more? They were like family at this point haha

I always said when they die I will upgrade them to better bags...and they just wouldn't die. Technically they never did die, the water killed them. Freakin' Coleman hahahaha I have to admit I was kind of sad that that is the way they went, those cheap Wal-Mart bags went on a lot of adventures.

Glad I'm hammocking!

Post by Guest Thu May 29, 2014 9:14 am

haha   that is too bad to see that they went out in such a fashion.  I love good camping gear regardless of cost.  If its comfy, holds up well and does what I buy it for, Im usually a sold lifer on buying similar products when I need them.  

As far as the IPAD and maps deal. 
    Apple allows the use of satellite GPS while no cellular data is available with IPADs that have the cellular feature installed in them.  It's a special chip that is GPS enabled and installed.  It's really based off of 911 and what is regulated with those systems.  Reason being is that it is FAA required that any device that has a "telephone number" attached to it needs to have GPS capabilities.  That being said, you will lose cellular coverage about 1.5 hours into our trip depending on carrier of your IPAD.  Verizon does tend to have a little better coverage but that doesnt mean much because it is sporadic at best for about another 30 minutes and then no one has any coverage.

GPS will still work but as mentioned, usually with a APP such as xmotion, as you move around the maps that you travel into will download automatically and then show up on the screen with your vehicle in them.  This wont happen up north because the IPAD and its apps require that cellular connection to download the maps if youre calling for them over the air.  The only way to get around this is to download the maps prior to leaving and its usually best to do so over wifi connection at your home or coffee shop.  Some maps have great detail and depending on how many you download or the detail they could get quite large.  This needs to be done prior to your arrival to Maine.  There is very few areas of wifi in Maine and certainly none in the area that we are going in.  

So in short, with all the answers above combined with mine, download an app that you like the looks of.  Understand that some apps, especially if they are free will only allow you to carry so many apps prior to upgrading the "pro" version of the app.  The other consideration is space on your device.  Make sure you have ample room to store the maps. 

Then after obtaining the app that you'd like, download the coinciding maps for the area that we will be in.  We will provide a little more info in a few days for other places that are going to be our go to spots on this trip.

Also understand guys and gals that this is a trip that you can make it what you'd like.  We will give you predetermined meeting spots and ending spots but where you adventure and how you get there is completely up to you.  This is why having a Maine gazetteer or a tablet or computer or GPS with maps of the entire area will benefit you the most.  We will have a "suggested" route you take that can allow you to sit back, do some driving, observing and have a few challenges but we really want you guys to be able to get out and adventure to places that most may never see in their lives.  There is several million acres out there to explore.  And while we cant hit every trail in our short 4 days there, we want people to get out and explore areas off our designated trails that we've provided to get to base camp each night.  Get out and see the wildlife, the views and the like.  Its an epic area with a ton to see, so get your mapping systems in order in short form and get out and see it all.  Just be able to make sure you can get back to camp by each nights designated time to not miss out on the festivities that await there.
    cthulhu
    cthulhu

Post by cthulhu Thu May 29, 2014 9:23 am

Question -- how close will we be to Elephant Mtn? I had visited there a couple years back and Amy would love to see it. If it's close enough I'd work it in.

Those of you who don't know what's up with Elephant Mtn, dig this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1963_Elephant_Mountain_B-52_crash
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Thu May 29, 2014 9:42 am

cthulhu wrote:Question -- how close will we be to Elephant Mtn? I had visited there a couple years back and Amy would love to see it. If it's close enough I'd work it in.

Those of you who don't know what's up with Elephant Mtn, dig this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1963_Elephant_Mountain_B-52_crash

Ooooh, we'll be close enough for you to visit  Cool 

Post by Guest Thu May 29, 2014 9:50 am

Hahahhaa
    cthulhu
    cthulhu

Post by cthulhu Thu May 29, 2014 9:54 am

haha, you guys have something interesting planned I can tell Twisted Evil
    Stevesimpson6
    Stevesimpson6

Post by Stevesimpson6 Thu May 29, 2014 10:05 am

Looks like fun !!
    Lazzm
    Lazzm

Post by Lazzm Thu May 29, 2014 10:19 am

Getting very stoked for this event!!
    REDrum
    REDrum

Post by REDrum Thu May 29, 2014 9:43 pm

Do any of the organizers know the approximate longest distance between gas stations?

Also, it is safe to assume, at best, ice will only be available at said gas stations?

Thnx
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Thu May 29, 2014 10:03 pm

REDrum wrote:Do any of the organizers know the approximate longest distance between gas stations?

Also, it is safe to assume, at best, ice will only be available at said gas stations?

Thnx

The longest leg is approximately 100 200 miles.
    Ice will be available everyday along the route. Friday, around early/mid afternoon. Saturday, around early/mid morning. Sunday, Lunchtime, early afternoon.

<edited mileage>

Last edited by MtnClimber on Thu May 29, 2014 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
    joopjku
    joopjku

Post by joopjku Thu May 29, 2014 11:00 pm

Woooo....we will have fuel with no further gap than 100 miles? What about this post?

"Friday we'll pass by a place for groceries, fuel, and last minute supplies. Sunday we'll end up at Pittston Farms where 87 octane is sold a bit higher than market price (due to the extensive travel into the woods). Between fuel stops will be roughly 250-300 miles. I've done this w/a fully laden XJ (2 spares and a RTT) and was running on fumes when I got to my next fuel stop. Basically just to see if I could do it. But I also had extra fuel with me. I've also been up there where the extra fuel was needed to get out of the woods.

AFA well built vs. grown in I'd say 70/30"

MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Thu May 29, 2014 11:29 pm

joopjku,
      I mis-read the question and one travel day will be no longer than 100 miles. The mileage between gas stations is actually closer to 200 miles.

my apologies everyone!  Embarassed

Post by Guest Fri May 30, 2014 7:17 am

As stated this is based on a strict point to point system that we will provide everyone. If you decide to venture out a little and see a bit more you'll need to take that into consideration. Some of the "roads" may require more use of 4 wheel drive and it's likely you'll end up burning more gas dependent on your laden load, trailer, getting stuck, etc. extra fuel is always a great idea up there.
    cthulhu
    cthulhu

Post by cthulhu Fri May 30, 2014 8:57 am

Is there any more room left? Did we hit the 10 team limit?

There was another event going on in NH that some of my friends signed up for but that run was cancelled. They have the time off and nowhere to go, I want to suggest this to them if there's still space open.
    Barrows
    Barrows

Post by Barrows Fri May 30, 2014 9:27 am

We are unfortunately full at the moment. That is too bad to hear about the other event being cancelled.
    joopjku
    joopjku

Post by joopjku Fri May 30, 2014 11:05 am

MtnClimber wrote:joopjku,
      I mis-read the question and one travel day will be no longer than 100 miles. The mileage between gas stations is actually closer to 200 miles.

my apologies everyone!  Embarassed

Not a problem...just wanted to make sure I am covered with enough gas, but not overloading.  Considering this, I will do 1 Jerry can as opposed to 2.  

Thanks!!!  

Now to adjust the supply list!  lol! 

study
    joopjku
    joopjku

Post by joopjku Fri May 30, 2014 11:05 am

And im sorry...i dont know how to correct the darn code...Im to old!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 4:03 pm