Northeast Overland

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northeast Overland is Maine's leading self reliant adventure travel community in the Northeast Region of the U.S. Led by a Registered Maine Guide, you can be sure that you'll have an unforgettable adventure all while we TreadLightly!

3 posters

Northeast Overland's 2nd Annual Summer Fun Run

MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Northeast Overland's 2nd Annual Summer Fun Run  Empty Northeast Overland's 2nd Annual Summer Fun Run

Post by MtnClimber Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:50 pm

We are at it again.  And this time, you are definitely going to want to bring a camera!

We are hoping that you can make it to the great State of Maine and see why everyone travels from afar to view our excellent trails and beautiful scenery during this perfect time of year! We will show people some of Maine's most scenic spots for sight-seeing, great Overlanding, and just plain fun exploring that you just can't do in your family minivan!

This ride will have a little taste of everything for everyone. From secluded ponds, tight rocky 2-track trails to mountains as far as the eye can see! Every night we'll offer camping as primitive as one wants to get. Each morning, we will set off for the day to explore more of the area before pitching our tents under the millions of stars at the next remote campsite. Your 4 wheel drive will be used in several circumstances and there are even a few area's where you could use your low range too...Want to combine the best of Overlanding with some of the greatest wildlife sightings known to exist?!  This is the ride to do it and we will be deep into the wilderness where sightings of moose, deer and bear could be waiting around every corner.    

Northeast Overland's 2nd Annual Summer Fun Run  20229316_844477835720893_4969254536983803489_n

Our end locations on Friday & Saturday will be well within any fuel range and everyone will have the opportunity to top off each day if they need/want to. Carrying extra fuel will not be necessary for the SFR, however it is still recommended. Your favorite pair of hiking boots are also highly encouraged!!

What: Northeast Overland's 2nd Annual Summer Fun Run

When: Thursday, July 5th to Sunday, July 8th, 2018

Where: Western Maine

Meeting Location: TBD!  

What to bring: Your street legal and well maintained 4WD vehicle with 8" minimum ground clearance, seasonally appropriate clothing, camping/sleeping/cooking provisions, basic extrication equipment (no chains!), food & water, spare parts/tools/knowledge, camera/batteries, etc.

Required Equipment:
     • Five (5) 31" or bigger AT or MT tires & tools to change a flat (this means a full-size spare (5 of the same size))
     • Front and rear tow points
     • Properly tuned & working CB radio
     • Fire extinguisher
     • First aid kit; sufficient for the amount of people in your vehicle
     • 2015 or newer Maine Atlas & Gazetteer
     • At least one GPS per vehicle (handheld or street)
     • Basic tool kit for your vehicle

Recommended Equipment (in addition to the required list):
     • Tire repair kit, and a means of inflating your tires (CO2, compressor, OBA)
     • Winch or come-along
    • Skid plates
    • A good, clean spare air filter
    • 4-5 gallons of extra fuel
     • Vehicle specific parts + tools
     • Bugspray & rain gear
     • Spare parts for CB/Ham (radio, mic, cord, antenna)
     • Spade shovel, Hi-Lift, straps (no hooks on the straps!)
     • Toilet paper

Staff will be assuring you bring the Required Equipment and go over your rig w/a checklist when you arrive and sign-in at the first nights gathering. Participants will not be allowed on the ride until the list of required items is fulfilled. This is for everyone's safety and enjoyment.

Northeast Overland's 2nd Annual Summer Fun Run  18622648_807874256047918_1055208023208297186_n

Northeast Overland's 2nd Annual Summer Fun Run  20229179_844473012388042_950108120108818069_n

What to Expect: We will be traveling primarily on well-built logging roads and some old grown-in roads with a limited amount of paved ways in between. 4WD is required, bring something with decent ground clearance (we're talking 7-8" minimum) and positively, absolutely no dual rear wheeled vehicles or small cars. We can't stress this last one enough as some of the roads become very tight and potentially very rocky and these area's will not support a dual wheeled vehicle or small car. Some of the area to be covered is very remote and that needs to be respected. Spotty cell service is to be expected as well.

All dogs must be leashed and or secured at all times. No free running or roaming around at all for everyone's comfort and safety. It's very easy to set up a runner for them as you can easily stretch a rope from tree to tree and use their leash as the runner. Or just attach them to your vehicle (when it's not in motion..). There are many different ways to secure one's beloved dog so as not to disrupt anyone's time during the event. Kids are not required to be leashed, however, adult supervision is requested at all times. Cats and any other animals/pets should be left at home. Thank you for your understanding.

Camping will be in a different location each night, the ole point-to-point style, so please plan accordingly with your fuel and food. We will have a drivers meeting at 1900 on Thursday evening to inform people of what to expect or the following days adventure. The tour will end late afternoon on Sunday to allow people ample time who have to travel a great distance to get back home.

Ride Fees: Non-refundable $100 per vehicle (not per person!). There is only a 10 vehicle limit, so be sure to get your spot! Routes are subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances.  
    After you register, please post below who your are; full name, Town & State, vehicle info (year, make, and model). Thanks!
    [b]

Last edited by MtnClimber on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:00 am; edited 3 times in total
    90XSOverland
    90XSOverland

Northeast Overland's 2nd Annual Summer Fun Run  Empty Re: Northeast Overland's 2nd Annual Summer Fun Run

Post by 90XSOverland Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:38 pm

This will be our first outing with Northeast Overland and we appreciate you running an event that doesn't conflict with the public school year.

After you register, please post below who your are; full name, Town & State, vehicle info (year, make, and model). Thanks!

Matthew R. Smith (and family).
    Canastota, NY
    1990 Isuzu Trooper

Northeast Overland's 2nd Annual Summer Fun Run  Empty Re: Northeast Overland's 2nd Annual Summer Fun Run

Post by Guest Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:08 pm

Can't wait to see the trooper in action!
    90XSOverland
    90XSOverland

Post by 90XSOverland Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:26 pm

FJ Boozah wrote:Can't wait to see the trooper in action!

Thank you. She draws a lot of attention wherever I go, and almost always an "Is it for sale?"
    90XSOverland
    90XSOverland

Post by 90XSOverland Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:38 am

You say we will be able to fuel up each day. Are these stops at convenience stores or something similar? If I can pick up food/bev along the way that informs my food packing plans.

Thanks!
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:49 am

90XSOverland wrote:You say we will be able to fuel up each day. Are these stops at convenience stores or something similar? If I can pick up food/bev along the way that informs my food packing plans.

Thanks!
    These fuel stops are more like small Mom & Pops stores (vs an Irving or Cumbys). However I would still plan on packing the bulk of your food for the trip.
    90XSOverland
    90XSOverland

Post by 90XSOverland Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:04 pm

MtnClimber wrote:
    90XSOverland wrote:You say we will be able to fuel up each day. Are these stops at convenience stores or something similar? If I can pick up food/bev along the way that informs my food packing plans.

Thanks!
    These fuel stops are more like small Mom & Pops stores (vs an Irving or Cumbys). However I would still plan on packing the bulk of your food for the trip.

While I have no idea what an Irving or Cumbys is, I get you. We'll pack all essentials in. Thanks!
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:10 pm

Irving= big chain gas station
    Cumbys= (Cumberland Farms) another big chain gas station/large convenience store
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Tue May 29, 2018 10:06 am

Spots are filling up fast, get yours while there's still a few left!

Post by Guest Thu May 31, 2018 2:18 pm

Signed up!

Mason M.
    Granby, MA
    '07 FJ Cruiser
    zackberk

Post by zackberk Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:59 pm

Zack B.
    Leeds, MA
    ‘18 4Runner

Post by Guest Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:22 pm

zackberk wrote:Zack B.
    Leeds, MA
    ‘18 4Runner

Thanks Zack! Gonna be a good time!
    90XSOverland
    90XSOverland

Post by 90XSOverland Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:07 pm

Unfortunately after 226k miles the rings are spent in my Trooper and I'm getting enough blow-by that I had to swap out my PCV for a genuine Rochester out of a 7.4L engine. Needless to say I'll be missing this trip (which has me bummed).

The positive is it gives me an excuse to swap to a 3.1l engine (stroked version of the 2.8l that is in there), and add about 40hp over stock when all is said and done. I'm making one last trip on the old engine to pick up the new.

I'll keep an eye out for future events as back-country Maine is on my bucket list.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:56 am