Northeast Overland

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northeast Overland is Maine's leading self reliant adventure travel community in the Northeast Region of the U.S. Led by a Registered Maine Guide, you can be sure that you'll have an unforgettable adventure all while we TreadLightly!

+28
vtrover
wntrcmpr
Gryphon
TangoBlue
Stevesimpson6
scrowley
WLFFGreg
cthulhu
missfire
Team Harrington
Lazzm
sjh3
rapovt
richcz28
joopjku
yves rodrigue
Barrows
Modeler
myoverlandrover
Mr. Mike
steewoz
ZiMM
bicyclemayhem
REDrum
AllanR
sourek
booth9c1ss
MtnClimber
32 posters

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose' Ride

WLFFGreg
    WLFFGreg

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose'  Ride - Page 6 Empty Re: Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose' Ride

Post by WLFFGreg Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:37 am

Ah I probably will eventually. Until then, I'm taking a lot of pictures! Spent most of my shift at the fire house designing the rack for the RTT and interior supports, hopefully I'll get the steel ordered this week for it!
    joopjku
    joopjku

Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose'  Ride - Page 6 Empty Re: Northeast Overland's 'Moose on the Loose' Ride

Post by joopjku Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:42 am

When you say how many people, do you mean drivers...and navigators? I actually have a navigator locked in...

AJ Kania From: South Jersey

As for the rig, all set...did a cool little platform to sleep in the back...no tent necessary  Laughing

Starting to get excited about this one!!! Now got to get the food situation worked out.
    AllanR
    AllanR

Post by AllanR Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:48 pm

joopjku wrote:

Starting to get excited about this one!!!  Now got to get the food situation worked out.

Time for a nice 12v Fridge. Wink
    yves rodrigue
    yves rodrigue

Post by yves rodrigue Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:11 pm

Any one interest in buying a use 3 way Dometic Fridge . Propane , 110v , 12v clean it was in a vw westfalia . 100$
    myoverlandrover

Post by myoverlandrover Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:07 pm

waiting on a RTT and awning from CVT!
    cthulhu
    cthulhu

Post by cthulhu Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:17 pm

Is there a timeline for this event ready yet?

Or at the very least, we start out on the 19th -- is that when we are all meeting, or when we should be ready to begin? Just wondering if I need to take the 18th off to get there Smile
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:21 pm

cthulhu wrote:Is there a timeline for this event ready yet?

Or at the very least, we start out on the 19th -- is that when we are all meeting, or when we should be ready to begin? Just wondering if I need to take the 18th off to get there Smile

MtnClimber wrote:
    What: Northeast Overland's Moose on the Loose Ride

When: Thursday, June 19th to Sunday, June 22nd, 2014

Where: Piscataquis and Somerset counties in Maine.

Meeting location: Route 16 in Bingham/Mayfield, 5pm. (Coordinates will be given to the participants)

All should be meeting on Thursday, June 19th in the Bingham area at 5pm. Coordinates will be sent to participating teams prior to that weekend.
    That's when we'll be meeting but also when you should be ready. Meeting place on Thursday is also Night 1.
    cthulhu
    cthulhu

Post by cthulhu Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:28 pm

Thanks the part about the 19th meeting is what I lost.
    Barrows
    Barrows

Post by Barrows Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:21 pm

Does anyone have any allergies we need to be aware of? We are having a cook out one night presented by the staff. It would be helpful to know if anyone has any allergies or intolerances. For example, you don't eat red meat, or meat at all. Or maybe you have a peanut allergy? Gluten allergy? Any questions or concerns please post your responses here, if you are not comfortable with posting here and want to be more private please send a pm. Thanks for you feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.
    WLFFGreg
    WLFFGreg

Post by WLFFGreg Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:14 pm

My wife has a slew of sensitivities and a couple actual allergies - all are GI related though, no huge concern of anaphylaxis, and we also care a few epi-pens.

Her big ones are:
    Eggs
    Peanuts

That's about it. If there's any doubts or questions, we'll have enough extra where we can cook up something separate.

Greg
    Barrows
    Barrows

Post by Barrows Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:33 pm

Greg I have a quick question for you, since peanuts are legumes, Can your wife eat Baked beans?
    WLFFGreg
    WLFFGreg

Post by WLFFGreg Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:24 pm

That's a good question... She said yes, however baked beans aren't something we eat, she said I'm too fussy.  Very Happy 
    As for her allergies, they purely affect her GI system (similar symptoms to someone with bad IBS).
    cthulhu
    cthulhu

Post by cthulhu Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:04 am

All of this will result in more bacon.
    cthulhu
    cthulhu

Post by cthulhu Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:07 am

My co-pilot can't do anything with sugar, but it's not a huge deal if one side dish has sugar in it, she has no problem skipping it. Usually baked beans have sugar in them.

As long as we know up front what has sugar in it she can work around it, we don't want to make everyone else go without.
    scrowley
    scrowley

Post by scrowley Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:33 pm

I have allergy's too. Stinks. Mine is fresh tree nuts, any fresh fruit skin, cabbage. I carry a couple ep. pens also.

Can't wait for this run!!!
    REDrum
    REDrum

Post by REDrum Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:53 pm

Not an allergy, but with my cholesterol breaching 300 a few years ago I gave up red meat. Having been raised on lamb (grandparents farm), kicking the high saturated fat habit was, (what I imagine), on par with what breaking dependency with alcohol must be like. One pork dumpling isn't enough and two is too many. Level is now down to 165 Smile

But don't worry the menu for us, we pack lots of chicken and turkey burgers. We're not veggie or vegan.

Medical issues:
    Me: slightly asthmatic; only when exposed to lots of mold spores & GWB dust. (Scott please shower before the trip Smile
    Daniela: low level epilepsy, 1 or 2 episodes a year. Usually due the stress of missing out on a good shoe sale, so no to low worries there.
    Barrows
    Barrows

Post by Barrows Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:33 pm

Thanks for info guys and girls!
    cthulhu
    cthulhu

Post by cthulhu Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:14 pm

FWIW, Amy and I are both trained Red Cross CPR/AED/Basic First Aid for adults, children & pets.

Just the basic stuff, we're not EMT's or anything hardcore.
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:16 pm

cthulhu wrote:FWIW, Amy and I are both trained Red Cross CPR/AED/Basic First Aid for adults, children & pets.

Just the basic stuff, we're not EMT's or anything hardcore.

Thanks for the info!!
    WLFFGreg
    WLFFGreg

Post by WLFFGreg Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:24 pm

I'll have some supplies with me... most stuff will be non-invasive. I think we'll have 4 epi pens (2 are expired but still work), benadryl, yada yada. Probably some basic iv supplies just in case, but no meds to administer beyond OTC. So no-one get sick out there, bring your inhalers! If we have any HAM operators in the group, that's the best bet to survival if things go downhill quick.

On to the fun stuff:
    Welding, sandblasting, painting this weekend
    New axle, wheels, wiring next weekend
    Tons of other stuff in between!

Greg
    cthulhu
    cthulhu

Post by cthulhu Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:41 pm

As far as camping, our kit has been successfully in motion for a couple years now, just some fine tuning happens here and there. The only thing we are trying out new this year is hammocks instead of a ground tent, and we have some camping going on before this event to see how that works out. If it sucks, it'll be a ground tent. Trailer is staying home for this one.

On the FJ, the front coilovers are out for rebuild and due to be returned any day now. Replacing a dying alternator as soon as UPS gets it here -- 120k miles and it's acting funny, so I'm staying on top of it before it surprises me. Adding a proper spare tire mount to the roof rack for a 2nd spare. Then some fluid changes and it's ready.

I usually pack in a spare axle, tie rod(s), axle seals, wheel bearing, U-joint, spare lugs and lug nuts, the common failure points in any truck. Couple quarts of misc fluids. Tools, 10# of CO2, impact gun, backup air compressor etc. all of that is part of the standard loadout for me. I never need any of it. Until I leave it home! Other folks seem to need it, knock on plastic.

I haven't taken the HAM test yet but it should happen before this event, and I have a Baofeng UV5R that I am bringing in addition to the CB radio.
    booth9c1ss
    booth9c1ss

Post by booth9c1ss Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:55 pm

cthulhu wrote:....

I usually pack in a spare axle, tie rod(s), axle seals, wheel bearing, U-joint, spare lugs and lug nuts, the common failure points in any truck. Couple quarts of misc fluids. Tools, 10# of CO2, impact gun, backup air compressor etc. all of that is part of the standard loadout for me. I never need any of it. Until I leave it home! Other folks seem to need it, knock on plastic.

I haven't taken the HAM test yet but it should happen before this event, and I have a Baofeng UV5R that I am bringing in addition to the CB radio.

I used to bring stuff like that... spare leaf packs, driveshaft, wheel bearings, CV, alternator, etc.

I took my test last weekend, I'm still waiting on the FCC to get my info and for my name and assigned callsign to show up on the ULS.  I have a Wouxun handheld, but I'm hoping to have a mobile radio installed by MOTL... and hopefully I'll know how to use it.  Rolling Eyes 

Good luck with your test.

Steve
    cthulhu
    cthulhu

Post by cthulhu Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:34 pm

booth9c1ss wrote:
    I used to bring stuff like that... spare leaf packs, driveshaft, wheel bearings, CV, alternator, etc.

I took my test last weekend, I'm still waiting on the FCC to get my info and for my name and assigned callsign to show up on the ULS.  I have a Wouxun handheld, but I'm hoping to have a mobile radio installed by MOTL... and hopefully I'll know how to use it.  Rolling Eyes 

Good luck with your test.

Steve
    Steve, did you stop carrying spare parts because you were never using them?
    REDrum
    REDrum

Post by REDrum Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:42 pm

While I do believe "luck favors the prepared" and used to carry A LOT of spares. But, due to space, weight, noise, I now just bring limp home gear; and a bit more mechanical sympathy. At least in US, in central america I still carry quite a bit.
    myoverlandrover

Post by myoverlandrover Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:08 pm

I carry a good amount of spares as well, mostly the normal wear parts or hard to find parts (ROW land rover) that would take a week to get from the uk  Shocked 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 12:54 pm