Northeast Overland

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northeast Overland is Maine's leading self reliant adventure travel community in the Northeast Region of the U.S. Led by a Registered Maine Guide, you can be sure that you'll have an unforgettable adventure all while we TreadLightly!

+4
MtnClimber
mike ZJ
Barrows
MarkW
8 posters

Early Planning: New England/Maine Excursion

MarkW

Early Planning: New England/Maine Excursion Empty Early Planning: New England/Maine Excursion

Post by MarkW Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:07 pm

I have been thinking about an excursion in the New England/Maine area and thought this forum might be a good place to get the discussion going.

I'm based on Metro New York and would be looking to plan a trip with 2-5 fairly well built trucks (probably Land Cruiser 60 and 80 series with lifts, sliders/bumpers, 33-35" tires, winches etc possibly pulling M416 size trailers). The trip will likely be 7-10 days long. I'd like to run off-road as much as possible and would love some opportunity for some rock climbing/seriously off-road side trips. The plan would be to design a route that is rural and off the beaten path when possible. We would be equipped for multi-day primitive camping.

Visiting quirky and interesting non-tourist spots will be a plus. Old, abandoned, dramatic, bizarre are all good... I would love to build a circular route that covers a good loop of the broad area.

I have considered routes that have included Nova Scotia and New Brunswick and/or other spots in Canada but that might be too ambitious.

So... I'd like to ask for suggestions re. destinations, roads, areas etc etc that you all think might become part of this trip.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Barrows
    Barrows

Early Planning: New England/Maine Excursion Empty Re: Early Planning: New England/Maine Excursion

Post by Barrows Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:59 pm

Mark this plan sounds like a great trip. Are you planning all off-road? If so the class 6 roads in NH may work better for your trip. I am sure with all of us brainstorming we can make this a reality. Did you have a date in mind?
    MarkW

Early Planning: New England/Maine Excursion Empty Re: Early Planning: New England/Maine Excursion

Post by MarkW Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:04 pm

Dates are part of the question - I am flexible. I would want to avoid real winter conditions and I've heard about some nasty summer insect issues (black flies?)

I would like to be off pavement as much as possible... of course I need to get from down here to up there so I expect the first and last part of the trip will be interstates... but I'll substitute scenic 2 lanes once I'm out of the metro region. I don't want to make the trip take twice as long just to be off the interstates from mile 1 but once I'm up in Mass. maybe I'd like to think about alternate routes...
    mike ZJ
    mike ZJ

Post by mike ZJ Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:22 pm

I would suggest early September. Very few bugs, not to cold, ground is usually dry but not overly dusty. Try to include Allwheels off road park in Lewiston somewhere in your route.
    MarkW

Post by MarkW Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:29 pm

Good info... thanks...
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:23 pm

Rocky Mountain Terrain Park in Carthage, Maine will put your offroading skills to the test. They also have remote camping facilities. The entirety of Allwheels in Lewiston Maine can be done with 32-33's..
    From Rocky Mtn you could loop up thru the Western foothills on dirt roads/2-tracks.

Keep us posted/up-to-date on your weeklong adventure!
    MarkW

Post by MarkW Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:37 pm

MtnClimber wrote:From Rocky Mtn you could loop up thru the Western foothills on dirt roads/2-tracks.

Details?

Post by Guest Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:55 pm

http://www.rmtp.us/

Here is some info on Rocky Mountain Terrain park.

Wicked Hills would be a good route as well to link into the trip. Hasnt opened yet from what I can gather but they are trying their hardest to get going. Possibly by the time your thinking they will be open.

http://wickedhills.com/

Some other places that would be fun to visit might be some parks. We have a plethera of great parks that could add a water aspect to your trip or even just a day hike if your into that kinda thing. Sebago State Park, Baxter State Park, Bradbury Mtn, Acadia National park to name a few.

Last edited by 03Rubicon on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
    MarkW

Post by MarkW Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:01 pm

Details of the dirt roads/2 tracks... I meant
    Barrows
    Barrows

Post by Barrows Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:06 pm

I second RMTP, it is a great park. All wheels has potential but it the redneck hillbillies have spread trash allover, cut down too many trees and tore up the trails. RMTP is a more challenging park, however it is cleaner and it's location is going to be more beneficial to your plans. Plus it is a lot of fun.....check out these pic's for ideas.

Early Planning: New England/Maine Excursion DSCI0636

Early Planning: New England/Maine Excursion DSCI0553

Early Planning: New England/Maine Excursion DSCI0557

Early Planning: New England/Maine Excursion DSCI0499

Early Planning: New England/Maine Excursion IMG_0641

Early Planning: New England/Maine Excursion IMG_0625

Early Planning: New England/Maine Excursion IMG_0670

Early Planning: New England/Maine Excursion DSCI0366

Post by Guest Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:16 pm

Sorry about that, I was editing my above post when you replied.

Most of your popular dirt roads are gonna be in the Northern Maine Woods. Others might have some insight on some others.
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:25 pm

MarkW wrote:
    MtnClimber wrote:From Rocky Mtn you could loop up thru the Western foothills on dirt roads/2-tracks.

Details?

I'm working on the road names, coordinates and such. Stay tuned.
    achampagne
    achampagne

Post by achampagne Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:36 pm

Have you considered following the Golden road for a few days? It doesn't get much more remote than that in the North East.
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:39 pm

achampagne wrote:Have you considered following the Golden road for a few days? It doesn't get much more remote than that in the North East.

I don't know about that. Fuel & delicious homemade pie is 10 miles off the Golden Road at Pittston Farms. Most of the checkpoints have ice cream sammiches for a dollar lol!

But the Golden Road is a not a road to be to taken for granted.

Last edited by MtnClimber on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
    TridentGreen
    TridentGreen

Post by TridentGreen Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:14 pm

The North Maine Woods off the Golden road will have a lot of what you're looking for though finding serious rock climbing will be a challenge. Roads there were built for access to timber, which rarely, if ever involved rock climbing. Your likely hurdles will be fording flooded stretches of questionable tertiary roads and mud. Remote and amazing area.
    http://www.northmainewoods.org/maps/map.html

For some glacial/geologic sites of interest South of the NMW check out the Ice Age Trail(not a trail per se)
    http://iceagetrail.umaine.edu/content/themap.php
    Silvanus
    Silvanus

Post by Silvanus Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:47 pm

Man, Maine has some cool practice areas to hone your skills! Vermont is lagging in off road areas!
    achampagne
    achampagne

Post by achampagne Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:07 pm

VT has a bunch of very cool C4's to explore on the Eastern side of the state.

Last edited by achampagne on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Barrows
    Barrows

Post by Barrows Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:16 pm

I really want to come explore those c4 roads.
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:18 pm

Barrows wrote:I really want to come explore those c4 roads.

That's a big X2!
    Silvanus
    Silvanus

Post by Silvanus Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:02 am

achampagne wrote:VT has a bunch of very cool C4's to explore on the Easter side of the state.

True, but it's been squeezed to that side of the State pretty much. A lot of bickering going on with the rest of the State though, sad part is VAST through Montpelier ( they get an handsome grant + 5cents from a gal. of gas goes to them as well ) controls about 53% or so of C4's and during their off season won't let us traverse town roads. it's a shame really, I've been told that in the last few years that they're having trouble with trail maintenance in the off season, quite a few in their membership are shirking their duties. if we had access on to these C4's they'd have smooth runnin' during the winter months!

Too Bad, a respectful dialog between VAST and a couple/three earnest overland clubs would start an wave that all outdoor endeavors can cross pollinate and enjoy each others activities!

I'm up for an Northeast Kingdom jaunt!

Maidstone State Park is a very nice camping area, lento, tenting/camper sites as well!

Let the Brainstorming begin!!
    Carlo
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:57 am

MarkW wrote:

Details?

If you grab a DeLorme Maine Atlas & Gazetteer, look on maps/pgs 18 & 19. RMTP entrance is located on map 19, D3 (lower part of that square). It's off of Rt 2. From there you can loop around Webb Lake North Westardly towards Smalls Falls and Rangeley direction. You could actually spend the better part of a day getting there on 2-tracks. All of the 2-tracks would be capable with 31" tires and up, maybe smaller.
    You could spend several days on just those 2 pages! affraid
    Silvanus
    Silvanus

Post by Silvanus Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:37 am

MtnClimber wrote:
    MarkW wrote:

Details?

If you grab a DeLorme Maine Atlas & Gazetteer, look on maps/pgs 18 & 19. RMTP entrance is located on map 19, D3 (lower part of that square). It's off of Rt 2. From there you can loop around Webb Lake North Westardly towards Smalls Falls and Rangeley direction. You could actually spend the better part of a day getting there on 2-tracks. All of the 2-tracks would be capable with 31" tires and up, maybe smaller.
    You could spend several days on just those 2 pages! affraid

That would be AWESOME!! On the store bought map book? ( which I possess ) If so, I'll give it a go, I enjoy two track roads very much.
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:42 am

Yes, the DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer.
    AllanR
    AllanR

Post by AllanR Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:53 pm

I have been out past web lake area and looped back down to rmtp some hw with friends. i would like to go back up there and drive up to smalls falls/rangley etc.... we should make a day ride their. camp out drive back the same way'ish the next day. That would be super fun. I did some of it in my awd explorer on 33s.
    MarkW

Post by MarkW Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:59 pm

For the short term I have signed up a team to do the Vermont Trophy thingy in August. We have our off-road event, the Coal Mine Cruiser Classic, in July then this in August.

Still hoping to put together a more off the road Maine event but this will get me up that way at least.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 5:44 am