Northeast Overland

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northeast Overland is Maine's leading self reliant adventure travel community in the Northeast Region of the U.S. Led by a Registered Maine Guide, you can be sure that you'll have an unforgettable adventure all while we TreadLightly!

+10
Smatts
Wandering_Wagon
rburt77
Superduty11
MtnClimber
ozmanyyy
REDrum
felbell85
NMW 4X4
OffRoadMazda
14 posters

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Superduty11
    Superduty11

Planes, Trains and Automobiles - Page 2 Empty Re: Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Post by Superduty11 Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:53 pm

Excellent
    rburt77
    rburt77

Planes, Trains and Automobiles - Page 2 Empty Who is going?

Post by rburt77 Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:29 pm

How many people are bringing wives and kids.

This is going to be our first family adventure. I will be bringing my wife and two kids. Laura 8 Jared 5

Who is going on the staff side?

See you all in July. Smile
    Wandering_Wagon
    Wandering_Wagon

Planes, Trains and Automobiles - Page 2 Empty Re: Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Post by Wandering_Wagon Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:33 pm

REDrum wrote:

Thanks for letting me twist your arm!

All the dust and rutted roads you experienced on the Nicoya Peninsula was perfect training for Maine's Great North Woods. Just more moose and less monkeys up no'th Smile  

Haha! You're welcome. I'm sure it'll be my pleasure.
    ozmanyyy

Post by ozmanyyy Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:16 am

rburt77 wrote:How many people are bringing wives and kids.

This is going to be our first family adventure. I will be bringing my wife and two kids. Laura 8 Jared 5

Who is going on the staff side?

See you all in July. Smile

I may be, I have an 11 and 15 year old. Its pretty far out still so we'll see.

I'll have to get some more details for them but figure we'll here some more after the May trip too...

Oz
    REDrum
    REDrum

Post by REDrum Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:24 am

FWIW, every NEO trip I've been on is family friendly, not a bro-down.

Family friendly adventure is part of the NEO brand; wives, GFs, kids, grand parents, dogs, Wookies all are welcome and respected
    Smatts
    Smatts

Post by Smatts Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:48 am

Just sent in for a spot in May

Post by Guest Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:00 pm

Smatts wrote:Just sent in for a spot in May

Received!

Down to 4 spots left for May Planes, Trains and Automobiles!
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:44 pm

Only 2 spots left for the May 2016 Planes, Trains, & Automobiles!! woohoo
    Superduty11
    Superduty11

Post by Superduty11 Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:45 pm

Excellent

Post by Guest Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:28 am

is there still space for 1 more?
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:03 am

Mongoose Maine wrote:is there still space for 1 more?
    Sure is. We still have 1 vehicular vacancy left Smile

Last edited by MtnClimber on Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:17 am

how can I get a spot?
    Superduty11
    Superduty11

Post by Superduty11 Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:20 am

Make sure you bring your camera
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:27 am

Mongoose Maine wrote:how can I get a spot?

Ride Fees: Non-refundable donation of $50 per vehicle (not per person!). Registration and tickets can be purchased by sending a PayPal donation to northeastoverland@gmail dot com

Last edited by MtnClimber on Thu May 25, 2017 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:36 am

I just went to paypal but northeastoverland@gmail dot com will not go through.
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:41 am

Mongoose Maine wrote:I just went to paypal but  northeastoverland@gmail dot com will not go through.

Strange scratch It's worked for everybody else. I hope you didn't spell out "dot". You just use a period like every other email address.

Here, copy paste this: northeastoverland@gmail.com

Note: I just tired it and it works fine..

Post by Guest Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:46 am

yup that worked! thanks
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:49 am

Mongoose Maine wrote:yup that worked! thanks
    Thanks!!
    The May trip is now sold out!! woohoo

Post by Guest Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:13 pm

MtnClimber wrote:
    Mongoose Maine wrote:yup that worked! thanks
    Thanks!!
    The May trip is now sold out!! woohoo

I better get a move on modifying my car for this trip.
    Wandering_Wagon
    Wandering_Wagon

Post by Wandering_Wagon Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:35 am

I've been going over a few things for the trip, filling a few holes I have in the Req'd checklist on the first page.

One of which is a GPS.  Do you guys feel an Offline mapping app would suffice, or would you recommend I buy a Garmin? I have access to Garmin products through my work at a slightly discounted cost, but I doubt I would use it cycling or hiking and would prefer spending the monies on recovery gear etc.  
    I've read this thread https://northeastoverland.forumotion.com/t872-tablets-instead-of-dedicated-gps already, but just wanted to double check.  I have this app https://pocketearth.com loaded already and plan on giving it a few test runs locally.

Thanks in advance,
    Jody

(side note: I wasn't sure of the voting system on this site and gave a neg vote accidentally in the linked thread.  Sorry 'bout that!)
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:51 am

A handheld would be most beneficial for the hike into the locomotives and can also be used for those other cycling or hiking trips you mention. It'll allow you to set your vehicle location as a waypoint and to set the "breadcrumbs" (leaves a track of where you went) to aid in finding your way back to your vehicle in case you meander off the beaten path.

This would suffice and is quite handy:
    Planes, Trains and Automobiles - Page 2 IMG_20130626_160240_711_zpsa153710e

However I also use this Wink
    Planes, Trains and Automobiles - Page 2 20160204_114344_zpspiumn1gk

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:48 pm

Off/Online GPS are great, especially if you're able to utilize a piece of equipment that you already have and don't have to put the money out there for new hardware, which is usually the biggest cost.

The problem you run into is trying to find one that will do all of what you need and still be cost effective.

Depending on whether you have a tablet, laptop or a cellphone, either device can be set up to be used to work. It depends on the type ride that you are doing which may dictate which app/device you decide to you. It also depends on how portable you want it.

The Planes/Trains/Automobile ride is a fairly tame one that will technically be lead by a trail guide and get you to the places that you want without much issue. If one decides to venture out on their own for a bit, then it is highly recommended that they have a paper gazetteer or highly detailed app map to get them back to camp.  I standard GPS and apps like Motion X aren't going to have the detail needed to allow you to plot a course and look for adventure.

With that said, as already mentioned, those apps will allow the user to drop "bread crumbs" so that they can get back if they are just out whimsically bombing around looking for adventure. They will track your progress as you go about the adventure and allow you to get back to a certain spot or use the track for future use.

The only two apps that I know of right now that allow for such great detail and also allow for tracking or the Delorme Earthmate app and the Gaia GPS.

What type of device are you thinking you might use?

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:54 pm

Additionally, be cognizant that although stand alone hand held GPS units are great, they also can be a pain to try and view while traveling and can add some inherent dangers.  I love the Delorme Inreach I have, but the screen is pretty small while trying to navigate.  I've tethered it to an Ipad, much like MtnClimber and with this is gives me a full 9" view of the maps while using the Inreach as my connection.  

I also have the Inreach tethered to my cellphone, which is a Iphone 6plus.  I feel that this screen size is ideal for traveling as it gives me the same great screen size as any normal GPS, but also has the portability to take it with me up a mountain or biking without any issue of being to cumbersome.  

No one wants to be this guy on the B-52 trail looking for the top!

Planes, Trains and Automobiles - Page 2 Taking-pictures-with-ipad-418x314
    REDrum
    REDrum

Post by REDrum Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:11 pm

FJ Boozah wrote:Planes, Trains and Automobiles - Page 2 Taking-pictures-with-ipad-418x314

You promised me you wouldn't post that photo.....
    Wandering_Wagon
    Wandering_Wagon

Post by Wandering_Wagon Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:13 pm

Thanks for the words of advice.  I have an iPhone 6s and my wife will be accompanying me on the P.T.A. trip.  She's generally my second set of eyes when we wander about by vehicle.  A few wrong turns, but never too far off route.

The app I have/linked allows waypoints and will zoom down to 50ft accuracy.  I will likely buy the Global Topo add-on.  Sounds like it should do the trick.  Worse case, I have access to an iPad for the weekend.  'If' I do end up buying a handheld, I have my eyes on this guy, Garmin Oregon 650t It seems like a solid multi activity device.  

Somehow I've developed a pretty good internal GPS.  Perhaps growing up getting lost in the woods on dirt bikes and snowmobiles, then on bicycles as an adult.

Thanks again.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:50 pm