Northeast Overland

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northeast Overland is Maine's leading self reliant adventure travel community in the Northeast Region of the U.S. Led by a Registered Maine Guide, you can be sure that you'll have an unforgettable adventure all while we TreadLightly!

5 posters

Camping between Jackman and the New Hampshire border

rapovt
    rapovt

Camping between Jackman and the New Hampshire border Empty Camping between Jackman and the New Hampshire border

Post by rapovt Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:54 pm

We are going to do a trip in September starting around Millenocket and heading west towards the New Hampshire border. My question is where can we camp west of Jackman. We will be taking on the Spencer and Old Brook Roads towards Eustis and Tim pond Road towards the upper end of Aziscohos Lake. Anybody know this area?
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Camping between Jackman and the New Hampshire border Empty Re: Camping between Jackman and the New Hampshire border

Post by MtnClimber Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:20 pm

I know some of the area. I'll consult my trusty Gazetteer and see where I have any "campsites" marked Wink
    Superduty11
    Superduty11

Camping between Jackman and the New Hampshire border Empty Re: Camping between Jackman and the New Hampshire border

Post by Superduty11 Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:34 am

Thats a fun ride from Jackman across to Eustis and up around Aziscohos

Post by Guest Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:48 am

The meeting point for the DRAM route is an out of the way spur which lends itself to camping. It's more of a "ninja" camping spot but I've never had a problem. I'll PM you the lat/lon
    WLFFGreg
    WLFFGreg

Post by WLFFGreg Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:24 pm

There are a few camp sites labeled in the gazeteer, there should be two right about  45° 2'56.55"N,  70°51'39.39"W if I remember correctly.  I can't remember that road name, but that is along the route that you'd be considering.  I think total, there are 4 or 5 spots on the western side of Maine.  Once you enter NH (Great North Woods), there isn't really anything 'legal'.  Going to look on my mapping software to see if I can give you more info, my paper maps are in the truck and I'm feeling lazy at the moment.. lol

****Lincoln Pond Road (the western side) is the road those two camp sites I mentioned are one. From there, you have to go onto Green Top Road. I've got the GPX file I traveled on 8/2 if you'd like to look it over. That I believe is the only open road that you can pass through to get to the north side of Aziscohos.
    rapovt
    rapovt

Post by rapovt Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:34 pm

We went up Lincoln pond Road to Green Top and westerly on Parameeche around Aziscohos in June after Moose on the loose
    WLFFGreg
    WLFFGreg

Post by WLFFGreg Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:07 pm

Going to spin off topic, but that might end up being the area for the Christmas Tree trip 2015... Unless we look for something south of Greenville. Very Happy
    rapovt
    rapovt

Post by rapovt Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:27 pm

Thanks for the replies. Looks like the possibilities are pretty slim in those areas. What happens if you find a spot that is not designated and you get caught?

Post by Guest Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:22 pm

If you're camping "off the grid" it is best to not have any sort of fire and leave no trace. It you are respectful of the land, keep to yourself and generally remain quiet there really wouldn't be any reason for both anybody to care, or find you in the first place. Treading lightly goes a long way in these circumstances. I've been doing this for a long time and keep strictly to these rules. Never had a problem. If some place specifically says no camping than I'd avoid it, otherwise just be respectful and tidy.

SG
    Shoeman
    Shoeman

Post by Shoeman Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:13 am

That is some excellent advice Spence. Cook over propane, skip the campfire and pack it in pack it out. That opens up a lot of places. And if you do get "caught", be polite and ready to pack up and move on if needed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 5:42 pm