Northeast Overland

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northeast Overland is Maine's leading self reliant adventure travel community in the Northeast Region of the U.S. Led by a Registered Maine Guide, you can be sure that you'll have an unforgettable adventure all while we TreadLightly!

Modifying flasher for LED use

booth9c1ss
    booth9c1ss

Modifying flasher for LED use Empty Modifying flasher for LED use

Post by booth9c1ss Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:39 pm

LED taillights are efficient, long lasting, light up faster (I'm told 200 milli-seconds faster than incandescent, 1/5 of a second faster... about 20 feet at 60mph).  Because of the fast light up time, they can also make you more noticeable in traffic.

There is a side effect, though.  The LEDs are so efficient that they make your turn signal hyper flash to indicate that a bulb is out.

Some people install load resistors to get the flasher to work right, but they defeat the purpose of installing efficient lights.  LED flashers are available for $20-30.

But you can modify your current flasher for free.  I'll show you how I did mine for a GM pickup.  Jeeps are very similar.

Modifying flasher for LED use 20150324_194014_zpsf11d9b32
    Modifying flasher for LED use 20150324_194004_zpscdf4cdd0

Open the case by gently prying the side tabs and sliding the cover off.

Modifying flasher for LED use 20150324_193728_zpsd58d7450

The above picture is actually the modified flasher.  In the picture, directly above the chip in a diagonal trace.  I cut/scratched through the trace.  This is the part that monitors the load.  Now it will just flash at one rate.  This will also work with the additional load of a trailer BTY.

Steve

Modifying flasher for LED use Empty Re: Modifying flasher for LED use

Post by Guest Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:33 am

Slick!

When I modified the tail light format on Boomer the flashers were obviously all screwed up. VERY fast flash rate. I ended up replacing the thermal flasher controller (which most vehicles up until the last 5 or 6 years come with) with an electronic flasher. The electronic flasher doesn't use a bimetal element and current to control flash rate....just an electronic circuit. The old school flashers get messed up due to the electrical current increasing or decreasing as a result of different bulbs. That current is used to change the temperature within a small piece of metal which changes shape with temperature. As it heats up due to connecting a circuit, it warps and breaks the connection. This allows the bimetal to cool which then causes the warp to decrease which then makes the switch again. The clicking you hear from a blinker is that bimetal warming and cooling over and over.

Electronic flashers are pretty cheap (under $10) and are available as replacements for most vehicles at your local auto parts store.

SG

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:12 pm