Northeast Overland

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northeast Overland is Maine's leading self reliant adventure travel community in the Northeast Region of the U.S. Led by a Registered Maine Guide, you can be sure that you'll have an unforgettable adventure all while we TreadLightly!

+13
deadly99
MassMopar
clymber
BulletHead
rapovt
whatroad
Smatts
NMW 4X4
Vtrover5
booth9c1ss
muffinman
WLFFGreg
Superduty11
17 posters

Swisha loop in western Quebec - anyone game?

MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Swisha loop in western Quebec - anyone game?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Swisha loop in western Quebec - anyone game?

Post by MtnClimber Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:56 pm

FJ Boozah wrote:We should have a passport party.  
    I already have mine, can I still come to the party? lol!

Swisha loop in western Quebec - anyone game?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Swisha loop in western Quebec - anyone game?

Post by Guest Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:18 pm

Sure. We'll need a beer assistant Hahahaha
    Smatts
    Smatts

Post by Smatts Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:13 am

I'd be interested in going, just depends on the time frame Smile
    NMW 4X4
    NMW 4X4

Post by NMW 4X4 Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:48 am

On a side note, has anyone here ever done Labrador/Newfoundland Loop via the Trans-Labrador Highway? The girlfriend and I are doing it the 3rd week of July this summer. I drove to Labrador City through Quebec a few years ago, and it was incredible. 18 hour drive, 10 of which is over gravel roads.
    whatroad
    whatroad

Post by whatroad Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:14 pm

I would be very interested in the trip... I've been building a rig for this type of travel. I'm dying to get it out.
    REDrum
    REDrum

Post by REDrum Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:19 am

NMW 4X4 wrote:On a side note, has anyone here ever done Labrador/Newfoundland Loop via the Trans-Labrador Highway? The girlfriend and I are doing it the 3rd week of July this summer. I drove to Labrador City through Quebec a few years ago, and it was incredible. 18 hour drive, 10 of which is over gravel roads.

Not yet, but its on the overland trip list. Perhaps with few on this forum. Its the sort of adventure that people love to get to read about on NEO and then go do. Please post up another thread and share your plans and trip report.
    clymber
    clymber

Post by clymber Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:40 am

I've been thinking of doing a 2 week trip up thru Nova Scotia and into Newfoundland. If the timing is right go to The Gathering in Burlington Newfoundland

Post by Guest Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:10 pm

We did Nova Scotia a couple years ago and it was a really great trip. Our tentative plan was to get into Newfoundland via Nova Scotia this summer but I'm not sure the timing is going to work. From all accounts Newfoundland should be given at least 3 weeks of adventuring time and it's at least a 3 day trip up and 3 days back if you want to see anything on the way. Hard to carve out a month in the summer or early fall....

We did Nova Scotia in 10 days and could have easily spent 2x that.

SG
    clymber
    clymber

Post by clymber Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:44 pm

That damn work thing holds me back from taking that much time off. The upside of not being able to take a long time off at once is its a good excuse to go back up there
    REDrum
    REDrum

Post by REDrum Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:25 pm

Confirmed weekend: Friday Sep 16th to Monday Sep 19th (updated on post #1) For those interested mark your calendars

rapovt
    rapovt

Post by rapovt Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:38 pm

Nancy and I are in for this one
    BulletHead

Post by BulletHead Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:39 pm

I'm in. +1
    clymber
    clymber

Post by clymber Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:06 pm

I am a definitely maybe.    Depends on vacation time
    clymber
    clymber

Post by clymber Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:34 am

I'm in. There are rumors of my oncall schedule changing. If it does I will let you know if I'm out
    MassMopar
    MassMopar

Post by MassMopar Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:11 am

I'm interested to see how this trip goes for you guys. I can't swing it this year but may be interested in future dates. If all goes well I'll be spending 2 weeks in Newfoundland in August.
    deadly99

Post by deadly99 Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:18 am

A group of us from Ontario are doing the Swisha Loop starting on May 30th. Open invite if anyone wants to join us.

Cheers
    Ted
    REDrum
    REDrum

Post by REDrum Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:38 am

deadly99 wrote:A group of us from Ontario are doing the Swisha Loop starting on May 30th.  Open invite if anyone wants to join us.

Thanks Ted.

If you have a few minutes at Roaming Rally would like to get some tips from you about it. I've had a lot of interest from people about this run.

REDrum
    REDrum

Post by REDrum Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:59 pm

Hello All,

Bad news.  My good buddies Gary and Nancy were in a bad boating accident a few weeks ago and will be in physical recovery the next month plus. As a result they will not be able to join in on this trip in Sept.  I'm sorry but I am going to reschedule the trip when they can attend, wouldn't be right without Gary and Nancy.  Perhaps Oct, or maybe even next Spring.
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:03 pm

Like Gary from Vermont Gary? Shocked

Post by Guest Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:08 pm

Sorry to hear Niall. Give them both our best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    East Coast Overland
    East Coast Overland

Post by East Coast Overland Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:56 am

REDrum wrote:I
    To me "Overlanding" is all about border crossings, exchanging money, new languages and new cultures and exploring new lands; and Quebec offers all that (and with a lot less narcos than south of the US boarder) . The wilderness of Quebec is vast, and I'm thinking this trip could be good primer for future trip(s) that could take a group deeper into the Canadian hinterlands.  
    If you have interest in joining in on this trip please PM me and give me a brief overview of your experience with this sort of adventure

1 - I agree that overlanding is all about border crossings. Canada is closer than you think! Wink
    2 - I had planned on doing the Swisha Loop this summer, but in the end, the time it would have taken to get there wouldn't have allowed sufficient time to complete the loop and return home. However at some point I would still like to do it. That being said, there are much better and much more appealing routes through the Canadian wilderness than Swisha. I'm strongly promoting NB as an overland destination, simply because it is mind blowing how vast of a dirt road / logging route / trail network this province has. And the best part? Nobody is doing it yet! It's the hidden overland gem of the east coast.
    3 - Gravel travel is great, in line with my #2 statement, The TNE (True North East) route is very appealing to me and I will be planning on putting that together sometime, if anyone is interested in joining that.
    REDrum
    REDrum

Post by REDrum Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:07 am

I think all of eastern Canada is a very undervaluled desination for adventure travel.

I'm planning at lease 3 trips north of the boarder for 2017: Swisha loop, Maritimes, and one TBD....

Once the calendar flips I'll jump start the 2017 Swisha loop trip in a new thread.

East Coast Overland
    East Coast Overland

Post by East Coast Overland Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:36 am

REDrum wrote:I think all of eastern Canada is a very undervaluled desination for adventure travel.

I'm planning at lease 3 trips north of the boarder for 2017: Swisha loop, Maritimes, and one TBD....    

Once the calendar flips I'll jump start the 2017 Swisha loop trip in a new thread.

Fully agreed! Nova Scotia has a lot to offer as well, however due to its shape, less than NB. PEI is nice, but little to no off-roading there, just too small and too many potato fields.

If you are looking for a maritime tour summer 2017, you might be interested in #nbexpedition part 2. We did part 1 this summer, but we weren't able to close the loop, which is why we are going back next summer. #nbexpedition is an overland route that runs through all of NB, or MOST of it anyway, that I have totally made up. With it, however I'm making it a real "thing" in other words I'm putting it on the map. Part 1 is currently up and running on trailsoffroad.com.

Post by Guest Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:44 am

Whatever happened to this, somewhat of an old thread revival here, but I've been thinking about doing the Swisha Loop fall '17. I've got a bunch of buddies that do it by motorcycle every year and they say its a great trip. Any interest in someone organizing a late summer/fall trip this year?
    REDrum
    REDrum

Post by REDrum Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:22 am

strangerranger wrote:Whatever happened to this, somewhat of an old thread revival here

It's on my second priority list of trips for Fall 2017.  One big variable is whether I get a navigator seat in Baja 1000 (I've interviewd for 2), if I do Swisha will get bumped to 2018.

But don't let my trip south-of-the-border trip hold-up a trip north-of-the-border trip for you. Laissez le bon temps router!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content