Northeast Overland

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northeast Overland is Maine's leading self reliant adventure travel community in the Northeast Region of the U.S. Led by a Registered Maine Guide, you can be sure that you'll have an unforgettable adventure all while we TreadLightly!

5 posters

Gas can recommmendations

tmac
    tmac

Gas can recommmendations Empty Gas can recommmendations

Post by tmac Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:15 pm

As I get more and more into adventure travel I'm finding the need for a longer range.  I have no experience with gas cans for this purpose so I was wondering if I could get some advise.  It sounds like storing them in the vehicle is out of the question, or is it?  What types of cans do you recommend for carrying extra fuel?

Thanks,
    Taylor

Gas can recommmendations Empty Re: Gas can recommmendations

Post by Guest Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:27 pm

I like Rotopacks for their simplicity and small design. They are flat and contain around 4 gallons of fuel with many different ways of mounting them. Only real issue is the price, as in comparison to a standard fuel container, they are considered pricey. I think they have come a long way as well as they used to leak a little around the lid but I have yet to hear any of the newer versions doing so.

Your standard military Scepter can is also very useful and has a numerous amount of mounting options as well.
    AllanR
    AllanR

Post by AllanR Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:53 pm

MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:04 am

The Rotopax or similar design sold by Cabela's are great for in vehicle storage. I have a Cabela's 4gal one that fits perfectly in the RR cargo area of my XJ.
    Sceptor cans are also known for non-leaking/smelling/seeping and would work great for inside cargo storage.

Last edited by MtnClimber on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
    booth9c1ss
    booth9c1ss

Post by booth9c1ss Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:23 pm

I can't recommend the Sceptor military cans (plastic jerry cans) strongly enough.  They don't leak, don't vent vapor into the vehicle (I had a full one in the back of my Blazer for over a month and couldn't smell it), will not explode in a fire (will melt and burn, but not forcibly erupt), can be driven over, and fit in the same jerry can holders that have been made for over half a century.  And they come in fancy earth tones (green/tan) that we like so much.

Unfortunately, due to Californification, the EPA has banned these in the US, even though the EPA compliant cans spill/dribble/leak and the Sceptor cans don't.  Many available on ebay in new ($100+) and used ($40+) condition.  

Our friends to the North can simply walk into their local store and buy one... they are still legal in Canada.

Steve
    FKreider
    FKreider

Post by FKreider Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:59 am

tmac wrote: It sounds like storing them in the vehicle is out of the question, or is it?

I would never store a fuel can inside of a vehicle. I just drove from Colorado to Mass over the last two days. We had a Jerry can with fuel in the back of my brothers Jeep Comanche pickup and while going down the road the cap became slightly loose and a very small amount leaked out, the truck bed had a topper and the whole bed area with our bags smelt very bad of fuel. I cant imagine if that happened inside of the passenger compartment.

I might add, that we did need to use the fuel from the Jerry can at one point on the trip, some gaps between fuel stations are big enough where if you aren't paying constant attention to your fuel guage, you can easily end up sputtering to a stop on the side of a road. Having extra fuel makes this a zero-stress situation, just grab the can and throw some in the tank, you off again and to the next fuel station.
    tmac
    tmac

Post by tmac Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:55 am

Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate. I'm going to pick up a couple of the sceptor cans before the end of mud season so I'll be ready to go. I'll try and avoid keeping fuel inside the vehicle but it's good to know that I can if I need to. When I build my rear bumper I'm going to try to incorporate a holder for a can.

Thanks!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:17 pm