Northeast Overland

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northeast Overland is Maine's leading self reliant adventure travel community in the Northeast Region of the U.S. Led by a Registered Maine Guide, you can be sure that you'll have an unforgettable adventure all while we TreadLightly!

NYC to Bridgton ME

CassidyN3555L

NYC to Bridgton ME Empty NYC to Bridgton ME

Post by CassidyN3555L Fri May 23, 2014 6:39 pm

Hey folks, I'm new here and traveling cross country from the west coast and looking for as much overland travel as possible.

The last leg of my journey is from NYC to Bridgton, ME.

Does anyone know of a way to do any part of this trip on gravel or dirt instead of I-95?

I'm tentatively picking up a few of my young city slicker employees from NYC and it would be fun to facilitate a positive introductory  offroad/overland adventure while we head to our camp in Bridgton, ME.

Last year I made the trip solo and was able to explore some trails in upstate and western NY as well as Vermont and NH, but I don't have the foggiest idea of my exact routing...I was just sort of feeling my way down rural highways, dirt and gravel roads. It was fun though. I think I may have wandered into something like the Green Mountains in Vermont which were pretty neat. At one point I passed a boarding school (maybe) called Cardigan Mountain School.

Ideally I'm looking for a way to keep moving toward Bridgton rather than taking breaks to drive trails that don't achieve progress in reaching our destination. I'm not sure if there are any interconnected trails or gravel roads.

Out west we have the Oregon / Washington / and Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route (which I'd strongly recommend) and various historic native american and early explorer trails that span large sections of our states, allowing for extended travel off highway or with minimal pavement between gravel/dirt stretches. It would be awesome to find something similar in the NE - even if I take it on the way home instead of drive out.

Thanks for any insight you're able to provide.

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 4:05 pm