Northeast Overland

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northeast Overland is Maine's leading self reliant adventure travel community in the Northeast Region of the U.S. Led by a Registered Maine Guide, you can be sure that you'll have an unforgettable adventure all while we TreadLightly!

+2
Mr. Mike
booth9c1ss
6 posters

Unplanned camping

booth9c1ss
    booth9c1ss

Unplanned camping Empty Unplanned camping

Post by booth9c1ss Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:56 pm

Also known as being stuck out longer than you planned for whatever reason. Maybe you aren't where you thought you were (lost). Maybe you had a mechanical breakdown. Are you prepared? A freak snowstorm stranded thousands of people in Atlanta last week.

I have a small kit I made up. I don't have much space. I could pack a huge duffel (and maybe I will to leave at the house) but if it's too big, you won't bring it with you.

This is mine:

All of this is in a L.L. Bean bookpack. It's bright red with a 2"x8" reflective stripe on the front. This bag alone might help me to be found.

In the large rear compartment I have a stuff sack and a dry sack. Stuff sack is a nylon compression type (Sea to Summit) containing a light weight fleece jacket, medium weight fleece pants, synthetic material underwear, wool socks, and a cotton T-shirt. The dry sack (13L Sea to Summit) contains a blaze orange fleece jacket, blaze orange baseball cap (no warmth but visible), Black GoreTex pants, and a Charcoal GoreTex hooded jacket.

In the thinner large compartment, I have three MRE food rations, plus a few small packages of candy (Skittles, for sugar) if I just need a small pick-me-up. I also have one liter of water in a re-closable bottle, water purification tablets, and a small titanium pan.

In the small front compartment (where kids usually just keep their pencils and calculators), I have my tools.

• There is a Gerber backpacker axe (with integrated knife in the handle) with about 10' of rope wrapped around the handle.
    • A small Ziplock bag with some toilet paper and a small reflector/light.
    • Gerber multiplier with sheath and a 4" Gerber Paraframe knife.
    • a small first aid box containing bandaids, gauze, antiseptic towelettes, a box of wooden matches, Blastmatch.
    • a 8" velcro band.

This all fits into the backpack. It is really stuffed, but if I really need it, once I wear these clothes the bag gets lighter and thinner.

Last edited by booth9c1ss on Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:22 pm; edited 4 times in total
    Mr. Mike
    Mr. Mike

Unplanned camping Empty Re: Unplanned camping

Post by Mr. Mike Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:03 pm

I don't have a truck bag, but I prepare in a different way. I leave the house dressed to take a long walk, regardless of the weather. I'm not a run to the store real quick in my pj's kinda guy. If I'm going to Hannafords up the hill and it's -3 degrees out, I dress in a manner that I could walk back home if I had to.
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:12 pm

All my vehicles have snacks (g.bars, candy, slim jims), flashlights, phone chargers, leather and mechanix gloves, hand warmers, dog leashes and med kits. Some sort of hoodie, sweatshirt or jacket can always be found behind the seat near the Atlas. All have some sort of recovery equipment too. TP-in-a-bag too of course!
    All have a readily accessible fire extinguisher.
    Like Mike, I always dress for the weather, wherever I'm going.
    Generally I have my 2-way fire radio w/me too, cuz ya never know.
    Chance of snow? I got the shovel and boots.
    Winter time? Never let the fuel tank get below 1/2.
    mike ZJ
    mike ZJ

Post by mike ZJ Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:15 pm

Great info
    muffinman
    muffinman

Post by muffinman Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:28 pm

don't forget the duck tape and i keep a few extra batts for my head lamp in my bag plus a bang stick
    I also have extra socks in all my rigs. socks u say well there is nothing like putting on a fresh pare of socks to make u feel good
    Wilbah

Post by Wilbah Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:03 pm

All good advice. My BOB also has 2 space blankets and a couple of lighters. My match case is one of those bright orange combo whistles with a compass as well. I have a regular compass in the bag as well.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 am