Northeast Overland is Maine's leading self reliant adventure travel community in the Northeast Region of the U.S. Led by a Registered Maine Guide, you can be sure that you'll have an unforgettable adventure all while we TreadLightly!

Tire Selection for Expedition Travel: The impact of tire width on traction

booth9c1ss
    booth9c1ss

Tire Selection for Expedition Travel: The impact of tire width on traction Empty Tire Selection for Expedition Travel: The impact of tire width on traction

Post by booth9c1ss on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:28 pm

http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html

By: Scott Brady, Expedition's West
    Date: 3/28/2005 (revised 4/17)

All rights reserved by Expeditions West, LLC
    Portions of this article can be used if properly sited: Scott Brady, www.expeditionswest.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Understanding Off-highway Tire Performance:

Important note: For the sake of the following details, assume that the test vehicle is 5,000 lbs., and a narrow tire would be considered a 33x10.5 R15, and a wide tire would be considered a 33x12.5 R15, both run at 15psi for trail use.

The benefits of a narrow tire:

The Argument: A tall, narrow tire is a better choice for all off-highway surface conditions with the exception of soft sand, snow and soft mud that's depth exceeds 110% of the vehicles minimum ground clearance. Here is the explanation....
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Tire Selection for Expedition Travel: The impact of tire width on traction Empty Re: Tire Selection for Expedition Travel: The impact of tire width on traction

Post by MtnClimber on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:00 pm

Whoa, I'll need a calculator and a measuring stick every time I go out in the snow, sand, or mud Laughing 
    All joking aside, good find Booth.

But it sounds like my 33x10.5x15 KM2's are perfect for my 4080lb DC Tacoma.

REDrum

Tire Selection for Expedition Travel: The impact of tire width on traction Empty Re: Tire Selection for Expedition Travel: The impact of tire width on traction

Post by REDrum on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:28 pm

booth9c1ss wrote: A tall, narrow tire is a better choice for all off-highway surface conditions with the exception of soft sand, snow and soft mud
    While tire performance in any given condition is a very subjective, I do not share the same experience as above with snow and soft mud. The only condition I prefer a wide tire (>10") is for floating on top of sand or packed snow.
    Mr. Mike
    Mr. Mike

Post by Mr. Mike on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:51 pm

I can throw in my experience as well, I have offroaded 2 different XJ's, both with about the same curb weight (4300~lbs) one had TSL radials in a 32/10.5 the other Mickey MTZ's in a 33/12.5.

Keeping in mind these two tires are wildly different I'll focus on the width aspect.

The TSL's I found were very easy to use in situations that required low to no speed turning even at 10~psi. +1 for narrow tires
    They did however not do well in the deep snow. I had to really abuse the truck to make them work or they would just dig straight down and leave me winching. -1 for narrow tires
    In the mud, well they are a TSL, they killed it in the mud, didn't really matter the depth, consistency, etc. I put almost 15,000 miles on them and damn near wore them out before I felt I needed a locker. +1 narrow tires.
    Fitment, narrower tires just plain fit better in the wheel well, allow stock back spacing on the rims, etc. +1 narrow tires.

The MTZ's I did not get as much snow wheeling with as I would have liked, but they seemed to do really well the little bit I did. +1 wide tires.
    Slow to no speed turning, not so much, the larger contact patch really made the power steering struggle at times, requiring me to turn as I moved often. -1 wide tires.
    Mud, they did ok, but I felt that the wider foot print didn't afford me a really solid bite on the ground and had to use more throttle than desired to get through stuff. -1 wide tires.
    Fitment, well, they are wide, and that means different offset rims/wheel spacers fender flares to cover them for road use, added stress on wheel bearings/ball joints with the tire leveraging them in a different way from stock. -1 wide tires.

So, I guess I could say that while wide tires look cool, in most applications they probably are not needed.
    mike ZJ
    mike ZJ

Post by mike ZJ on Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:39 pm

So many pros and cons to both. I prefer the stability and the handling of the wide tire. I like the wide better on rocks especially in off camber situations. Wide is way better in sand. I prefer narrow in mud and snow and especially on slushy roads. A 12.5 tire is a handful in slush Laughing Biggest downfall to 12.5 is the added stress on driveline, suspension, and steering. For me the biggest downfall to narrow tires is availability especially in a 35
    REDrum
    REDrum

Post by REDrum on Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:24 am

Wide meats can offer a lot protection and floatation, but I'm partial to tall and skinny: both looks and performance. I run 235/85/16 on my series land rovers, 255/85/16 on my '94 LC 80, and 36/12.5/16 TSLs on my '96 LC80 (which are 9" wide); all pretty much "Pizza Cutters". .

I've driven 315/75/16 and 255/85/16 BFG KM2s in same set up trucks (LC80) on the same muddy trails and found significantly better performance with the 255/85s. The BFGs are are really great except in snow, thankful both sets I own are down south now so no worries. I also find slightly less road noise and better milage with a skinny tire. Like many people have noted in tire threads, "everyone thinks their tire set up is the best", I guess I'm no different Smile

Barrows
    Barrows

Post by Barrows on Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:45 am

I really want the SSR in a 35x10 but don't want to pay the $325 a tire. I currently run 32x11.5 and really enjoy them, however I would love to go taller without going wider, my perfect size would be something in a 34 inches by 11 in a KM2 or truxxus. I know the tsl's come in this size but they end up being really narrow. Maybe a q78 would be perfect?
    Mr. Mike
    Mr. Mike

Post by Mr. Mike on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:08 am

Q78's are huge.
    Barrows
    Barrows

Post by Barrows on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:15 am

They should measure as shown below, not crazy big. Plus they look awesome. I just wish they came in a radial.

TSL Q78-16LT
    35.5 x 10.8, 66lbs, skid depth 27/32

SSR 35x10.5R16
    35 x 11.6, 70lbs, skid depth 21/32

Tire Selection for Expedition Travel: The impact of tire width on traction Attachment
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber on Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:22 am

Here's a similar good read for a tire selection for what we do:

http://dirtroadtrip.com/blog/trucks/cooper-stt-pro-the-offroad-test/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:39 am