Northeast Overland

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northeast Overland is Maine's leading self reliant adventure travel community in the Northeast Region of the U.S. Led by a Registered Maine Guide, you can be sure that you'll have an unforgettable adventure all while we TreadLightly!

+2
muffinman
Hubie
6 posters

What Next?

Hubie
    Hubie

What Next? Empty What Next?

Post by Hubie Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:58 pm

Okay, I've decided that the best thing for me to drive for the future is a fully paid for, 1991 Cherokee Laredo.

It is bone stock, right down to it's stupid Michellen ASR tires.

What do I do first? I'm going to stick to two tracks and very moderate wheeling. No more rocks for this fat man. Probably won't even do All Wheels any more, too many stumps there.

I'll move this to the build thread eventually, but I'm looking for ideas. I'll let you guys pick out all the mods and I'll fund and install them. If I go with a lift, it will be no more than 3", and I'm even thinking a 2" budget boost will be enough to clear 31's.

Things I'm noodling:

3" lift
    Plasti-Kote as the paint is shot
    Some AT's
    Roof Rack
    Some additional lighting
    Storage

This is a west coast vehicle and no rust on it anywhere.

Shoot......
    muffinman
    muffinman

What Next? Empty Re: What Next?

Post by muffinman Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:36 pm

Possible choice for tires good year duratrac
    mike ZJ
    mike ZJ

Post by mike ZJ Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:42 pm

^ what he said and don't forget tow points
    Hubie
    Hubie

Post by Hubie Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:15 pm

Are the duratracs an AT?

Tow points. Check.
    muffinman
    muffinman

Post by muffinman Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:35 pm

I would say yes maybe someone will copy and paste a pic for u
    I'M got two friends running them and give them two thumbs up
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:54 pm

Towpoints. Check Quadratec. http://www.quadratec.com/products/12007_800_07.htm

Just get a ZJ hitch for the rear. And ZJ gas tank skid while your at it. It uses the same mounting points as the hitch. Some drilling in the skid & hitch required.

Under carriage skids. I have a stock t-case skid if you need one. Maybe a pair of Solid diff covers w/ Lubelocker gaskets.
    D30 cover: http://www.solidaxle.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=31&idcategory=7
    D35 cover: http://www.solidaxle.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=32&idcategory=7
    D30 gasket: http://lubelocker.com/collections/frontpage/products/lub-llr-d030
    D35 gasket: http://lubelocker.com/collections/axles/products/lub-llr-d035

RC Diff guards are only a few bucks cheaper than full covers, so just get the Solid covers.

A good CB, coax, & antenna. I've had super good luck w/the Uniden Pro520XL. Usually around $45-50 shipped on good ole ebay. Firestick adjustable/tunable antenna.
    Allan has a pair of coil spring spacers, free or cheap
    RE full length AAL: RE1410, check ebay, usually around $78 w/free shipping
    RC 1.5"-2" shackles: http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-xj-lift-shackles-1077.html

>I wouldn't bother w/a roofrack unless absolutely necessary. Keep a low profile and low COG. But if you really want one, check this out: https://northeastoverland.forumotion.com/t439-rack
    >Find a set of factory foglights & switch from a junkyard. Your XJ is (should be) pre-wired for them.
    >AFA storage, the smaller Rubbermaid Action packers are great. Stackable, jeeps items dry/clean and not tooo expensive. Can be found at your local home Depot.
    >AFA tire size, I can fit 31" BFG AT's on stock Jeep alloys (your old ones Razz) with no lift or trimming on my 88 MJ. BUT, they do rub at full steering lock on the LCA's. A slight lift may resolve that.

Here's the Duratrac:
    What Next? WRL-Duratrac_tcm2093-111929
    Hubie
    Hubie

Post by Hubie Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:12 pm

Danke Jareb.

All good ideas. I'll take whatever you're selling Bro. Give me a couple weeks.....

It already has a skid plate on the gas tank and a Class IV Hitch. Owners manual claims the factory hitch is good for 7,500 lbs. Not sure I'd pull that hard on this old girl though.
    99BlackClassic
    99BlackClassic

Post by 99BlackClassic Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:39 pm

Another good tire to check out is the Good Year Wrangler Authority. Good tire for the kind of terrain you described but the duratrec from what I've heard rock socks too. Downside to the Authority is its only found at Wal-Mart. But it is a good tire and know a few people as well as myself who run them. Beardus Supremus could vouch for the tires more than I can as he has used them hard.
    1994 ZJ
    1994 ZJ

Post by 1994 ZJ Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:32 pm

Joe, avoid Goodyear at all costs!!! Especially Wal Mart(Sams Club)/Sears GYs.... Total GARBAGE!!!
    More than 90% of Goodyears come buffed from the factory in an "attempt" to make them round. Wally-World GYs are even cheaper
    I see 10X more Goodyears that are out of round(OOR)at the shop.
    When I(mistakenly) bought the GY Wrangler Radials for George, I had a pile of 9 OOR tires I went through to make a set of 4(13 tires total, including the 4 good ones)

I now have 12 Jetzon Mud Claws between 3 Jeeps, and NONE of the Mud Claws have OOR problems.
    And they cost a bunch less that the GYs...

My $0.02 on tires....

Anyway, if you want some steel stuff built, I'd be happy to whip you up sumthin'!
    mike ZJ
    mike ZJ

Post by mike ZJ Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:53 pm

Having worked at a goodyear dealer before for over 4 years I have seen very few issues. Everyone in PV4 with duratracs, authorities, or MTRs have been very happy with them including myself.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:01 pm