Northeast Overland

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northeast Overland is Maine's leading self reliant adventure travel community in the Northeast Region of the U.S. Led by a Registered Maine Guide, you can be sure that you'll have an unforgettable adventure all while we TreadLightly!

+5
JeepnMP
mike ZJ
Barrows
scyr87yj
99BlackClassic
9 posters

Dinoot Prototype

MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Dinoot Prototype - Page 2 Empty Re: Dinoot Prototype

Post by MtnClimber Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:00 pm

Diehards III is only 5 weeks away... Time to start building! Dinoot Prototype - Page 2 Sawzall
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:16 pm

One week away to Diehards III...Is this gonna be ready? affraid

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:41 am

I'm going to start on it soon. I've been extremely busy with work and it isnt making it any easier. I do have the 20th-1st off though so I should be able to get some progress done on it.
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:22 am

Here's some kitchen idea's stolen from DroverRover on Expo. That's a Conqueror Basecamp from South Africa.

Dinoot Prototype - Page 2 Attachment

Dinoot Prototype - Page 2 Attachment

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:30 am

Miiiight be slightly out of reach for the 27th but that can be what I work towards. Thinking I might need to go to the larger size up if I get the FJ. Maybe not though...

Getting all my ducks in a row for Monday
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:02 pm

Watch this piece of 4x8 Georgia Pacific plywood turn into a fancy kitchen!

Dinoot Prototype - Page 2 IMG_20130422_140511_935_zps501fe945

Dinoot Prototype - Page 2 IMG_20130422_140540_197_zps55beef19

Dinoot Prototype - Page 2 IMG_20130422_140422_575_zpsee2c5256

Dinoot Prototype - Page 2 IMG_20130422_140455_886_zps81730ca3

This temporary stove will occupy the space to the the right of the drawers
    Dinoot Prototype - Page 2 IMG_20130422_140502_711_zps7d31495f

Post by Guest Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:31 pm

BAM-closed up for the most part. That front piece of ply will hinge up and cover the stove. Then when down, can be used as another counter piece.

Dinoot Prototype - Page 2 B50F7BE4-CCFE-4D0F-81E1-409862EA4993-1140-000000ACF9F2E1A3

Extended table view: Moved it into the garage pending any damaging rain.
    Dinoot Prototype - Page 2 F33437EF-EA0F-45CB-B263-52DA8E6E101D-1140-000000AE7231D342

mike ZJ
    mike ZJ

Post by mike ZJ Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:33 pm

Nice work!
    JeepnMP
    JeepnMP

Post by JeepnMP Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:05 am

Nice!

Post by Guest Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:17 pm

very nice build

love what you have done with it so far
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:18 pm

Any updates?

Post by Guest Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:51 pm

Got the tonneau cover built and covered with truck bed liner as the rest of the trailer is. Ill be installing the RTT on this as well as getting some struts to allow for it to open to get to items in the trailer.

Dinoot Prototype - Page 2 IMG_3526
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:43 pm

Are you going to go with wheel adapters or a new axle?

Post by Guest Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:24 pm

That's a huge question right now. Adapters would be much easier as I'm sure I'd have to weld new spring pitches onto the new axle as I did this current one. But I think the axle replacement would ultimately be better but I definitely don't need the larger capacity rating as I think it would kill the ride. They appear to be similar in price or within $25 of each other. I'll most likely try for the spacers but I need yota rims as well so this could end up being pricey quick. Right now a dedicated spare with the jeep wheel could work just as well. Only other thing would be to bring an uninflated tire and put it on as necessary to whatever 16" rim may go down although this could be a real pain and time consuming
    Wilbah

Post by Wilbah Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:41 pm

I like the build! Nice job. How will you mount the spare(s)? Swing out on the rear or on the front bar? I am guessing you wouldn't want that weight on the fiberglass tub right?

Post by Guest Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:19 pm

I have a basket for the tonneau cover where I used to put it but that will be where the RTT is now. I'll most likely put it on the FJ roof until I can build a double swing out for the fj that'll have two spares.
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:07 pm

FJ Boozah wrote:Adapters would be much easier as I'm sure I'd have to weld new spring pitches onto the new axle as I did this current one. But I think the axle replacement would ultimately be better but I definitely don't need the larger capacity rating as I think it would kill the ride. They appear to be similar in price or within $25 of each other. I'll most likely try for the spacers but I need yota rims as well so this could end up being pricey quick. Right now a dedicated spare with the jeep wheel could work just as well. Only other thing would be to bring an uninflated tire and put it on as necessary  to whatever 16" rim may go down although this could be a real pain and time consuming

The axle rating won't change the ride quality, the springs do that for ya Wink

I know the current 2K# axle you have is 58" hub-to-hub but all I can find is a 3500# 62" 6-lugger, will that be too wide for ya?
    "Trailer Axle size - 62" hub face and 48" spring perch center mounts for a 50" wide trailer frame."
    abc-trailer-parts.com

I plan on getting this ASAP:
    62" hub face and 48" spring perch center mounts for a 50" wide trailer frame.
    Axle sold with five or six Lug hubs with bearings, grease caps, seals, lug nuts and u-bolt kit (Free Shipping) $174.95
    wntrcmpr
    wntrcmpr

Post by wntrcmpr Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:07 pm

From what I remember they will build whatever size you want at no extra charge
    Ngneer

Post by Ngneer Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:20 pm

Man U gotta update this thing, please. I bought one of the books he sells won't do the fiber glass, will probably do metal. To much on my plate right now it'll have to come later. But come on man give some updates. Love the kitchen. Have you finished it

Post by Guest Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:53 am

Last years VOT did a toll of the old trailer and although I was the only person to make it through the entire course in 2014 with a trailer, and second to complete the feat ever behind our very own MtnClimber, I know what did work and what didn't work and fee like it will need some much needed upgrades to continue using it the way I do. As if that sentence wasn't long enough, the build will have to unfortunately cease until I get into my new place. It will likely be a winter build unless i can get my garage up quicker than I think (most likely won't happen) and can have the space to work on it inside.

Some major things are that I need to get into a newer axle that has the 6 lugs to match my FJ and then also find a better way to secure the tonneau cover. Then the addition of power via an extra battery and a 10lb propane tank and I will be moderately happy.

Unfortunately, the kitchen that was built for it, is still taking up a large portion of my work bench. In the new house, I will have a fully dedicated woodworking area so that I can focus on making these items stronger and up to the continuous beating they get when installed in an off road trailer.

So for now, it's doing its due diligence as a quasi dump trailer and enjoys some time off before its next rendition. I am thoroughly impressed by how rugged it is. Ive never had a problem with the durability of it containing items or side flex or anything of that nature. The fiberglass covered in truck bed covering looks good, functions well and combined with the beefier subframe, is the best combo I think for mild to wild adventuring. I've never not taken it through something or around obstacles thinking that the trailer wouldn't handle it. It's a relatively cheap alternative to the other trailer types out there and I would make the purchase again in a second.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:27 am