The Dinoot arrived after a few months of waiting, no surprise here as it was a one off prototype that became reality and I was truly excited for this. The box contained the fiberglass parts and was packaged better than anything Ive received in the mail to date. There were 2 sides, a front portion and a rear with a tailgate cut out. The rest would be left up to my imagination.
There were a few options with this set and although the original had been built off of a Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer, I wanted to ensure that my trailers frame was bullet proof. Many have had good luck with the durability of the HF stuff but I couldnt see it comparing to the 2x2" tubing that I decided to go with.
Next was the plywood floor. I went ahead and built it to spec but also decided to coat it with some Thompsons Water seal. I added truck bed liner after this process, later on down the road and I think that the sealant hindered the adhesive abilities of the liner to the plywood. Ill sand it down this winter and see if I can get it to work better. I also need to do a better job of waterproofing the tub to the floor to ensure that no water can enter the inside. It was very good during my first trip but deep water definitely has a way of finding its way in somewhere. Ill find it and fix it.
The next steps are kind of in phase as to how the entire thing gets put together. I needed to attach the floor to the tub and then complete the frame with springs and the 2Klb axle. I find that this trailer provides the perfect weight when loaded and unloaded to stay pretty planted on the road when on and offroad. I didnt take a leaf out of the spring pack as I didnt think it was needed but I may try that and see if I gain any articulation in doing so. Not that I need a ton more but it would be cool to see my trailer flexed out just as much as my jeep if that were a possibility. That'll have to wait till spring. Too cold.
Went ahead and put the wheels on the trailer frame and buttoned everything up for the under carriage. This will allow me to check tolerances and clearances better than without the wheels on. The wheels tuck in nicely with minimal protrusion, especially once i put on the jeep fender flares.
The Tub is on and fitted. There is not much clearance for the tires and that is because I went ahead and put on my 35's. Ill be running the same 33" size as I have on the Rubi so that on long trips I can have a single spare to take care of all tires that are involved and even longer trips two tires. Much more clearance with 33's and they tend to articulate a whole lot better as well.
Here you can see I removed the 35's and put on the Jeep Flares. The 35's wont fit with my current cut out of the fenders. 33's it is!
The trailer was built to have a drop down or swing out design tail gate and for it to fit any TJ or CJ style you could find. I picked up a tailgate from member Barrows for cheap money, had it delivered for free by another member, (really scamming the system here) and got it on just in time for the trailers maiden voyage to the Northern Maine Woods. There are many other options for tailgates as well from the Dinoot company from a Safari tailgate to a smooth finished fiberglass tailgate as well, it just depends on what you'd like to roll with. Here is mine:
One of my main focuses why making sure that this rig/setup would work extremely well off road. Id like to set it up as a base camp and but also have the abilities to take it out with me if I needed to and still hold up. Getting to some of these remote locations is challenging as well, I wanted to make sure that the trailer would make it no matter what. I browsed a lot on the concept of making my own 3 axis coupler and JScherb from JF.com really set the stage for producing one prior to my trailer completion so it was a no brainer for my to try it. Major differences in mine are that I used a little smaller design, as I had left over 2" tubing and went with his design during the entire thing. The 3 axis coupler did extremely well offroad and 500+ mile round trip to NMW. No complaints. All items were bought from Tractor Supply which was a plus.
I went ahead and tore everything down so that I could get a good coat of truck bedliner on everything to ensure there is maximum durability and rust proofing. The best part about the fiberglass shell is that itll never rot and is very durable for containing items. The tub got a coat of liner as well.
Completed trailer finally! Took the better part of two months but I finally got it done in time for my trip to NMW. Had good company and good times and the trailer worked out very well. Some minor issues but for the most part thats to be expected with a virgin build. I look forward to continuing to build it up and make it a better base camp than what I had time to do last year. I will redo the tonneau top and see if a trailer top tent is in the workings for next year. Only time will tell.