Northeast Overland

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northeast Overland is Maine's leading self reliant adventure travel community in the Northeast Region of the U.S. Led by a Registered Maine Guide, you can be sure that you'll have an unforgettable adventure all while we TreadLightly!

+5
JeepnMP
mike ZJ
Barrows
scyr87yj
99BlackClassic
9 posters

Dinoot Prototype

Dinoot Prototype Empty Dinoot Prototype

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:51 am

This is my build thread for my current, and in progress, Dinoot expedition trailer that was first created and envisioned by Jeff Scherb of JeepForum.com. He sold the "plans" and original ideas to a company called Compact Camping Concepts and they renamed the trailer the "Dinoot". I was very fortunate to be able to get in under a testing phase which allowed me to test the product and express my views online. I have been nothing but pleased with this setup and will continue to build and use it until something catastrophic happens to it. haha Onto the build.

The Dinoot arrived after a few months of waiting, no surprise here as it was a one off prototype that became reality and I was truly excited for this. The box contained the fiberglass parts and was packaged better than anything Ive received in the mail to date. There were 2 sides, a front portion and a rear with a tailgate cut out. The rest would be left up to my imagination.
    Dinoot Prototype Photo-22

Dinoot Prototype Photo-23

There were a few options with this set and although the original had been built off of a Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer, I wanted to ensure that my trailers frame was bullet proof. Many have had good luck with the durability of the HF stuff but I couldnt see it comparing to the 2x2" tubing that I decided to go with.

Dinoot Prototype A62d2a0a
    Dinoot Prototype 05814cae

Next was the plywood floor. I went ahead and built it to spec but also decided to coat it with some Thompsons Water seal. I added truck bed liner after this process, later on down the road and I think that the sealant hindered the adhesive abilities of the liner to the plywood. Ill sand it down this winter and see if I can get it to work better. I also need to do a better job of waterproofing the tub to the floor to ensure that no water can enter the inside. It was very good during my first trip but deep water definitely has a way of finding its way in somewhere. Ill find it and fix it.

Dinoot Prototype 8f650100

The next steps are kind of in phase as to how the entire thing gets put together. I needed to attach the floor to the tub and then complete the frame with springs and the 2Klb axle. I find that this trailer provides the perfect weight when loaded and unloaded to stay pretty planted on the road when on and offroad. I didnt take a leaf out of the spring pack as I didnt think it was needed but I may try that and see if I gain any articulation in doing so. Not that I need a ton more but it would be cool to see my trailer flexed out just as much as my jeep if that were a possibility. That'll have to wait till spring. Too cold.

Dinoot Prototype B4df67fd
    Dinoot Prototype 82ec6efd
    Dinoot Prototype A2a7e44b

Went ahead and put the wheels on the trailer frame and buttoned everything up for the under carriage. This will allow me to check tolerances and clearances better than without the wheels on. The wheels tuck in nicely with minimal protrusion, especially once i put on the jeep fender flares.

Dinoot Prototype A5aa6e6d

The Tub is on and fitted. There is not much clearance for the tires and that is because I went ahead and put on my 35's. Ill be running the same 33" size as I have on the Rubi so that on long trips I can have a single spare to take care of all tires that are involved and even longer trips two tires. Much more clearance with 33's and they tend to articulate a whole lot better as well.

Dinoot Prototype 50ae9cf3
    Dinoot Prototype 19b2b158
    Dinoot Prototype E945c318

Here you can see I removed the 35's and put on the Jeep Flares. The 35's wont fit with my current cut out of the fenders. 33's it is!

Dinoot Prototype 658d57de

The trailer was built to have a drop down or swing out design tail gate and for it to fit any TJ or CJ style you could find. I picked up a tailgate from member Barrows for cheap money, had it delivered for free by another member, (really scamming the system here) and got it on just in time for the trailers maiden voyage to the Northern Maine Woods. There are many other options for tailgates as well from the Dinoot company from a Safari tailgate to a smooth finished fiberglass tailgate as well, it just depends on what you'd like to roll with. Here is mine:

Dinoot Prototype 8d8f1238

One of my main focuses why making sure that this rig/setup would work extremely well off road. Id like to set it up as a base camp and but also have the abilities to take it out with me if I needed to and still hold up. Getting to some of these remote locations is challenging as well, I wanted to make sure that the trailer would make it no matter what. I browsed a lot on the concept of making my own 3 axis coupler and JScherb from JF.com really set the stage for producing one prior to my trailer completion so it was a no brainer for my to try it. Major differences in mine are that I used a little smaller design, as I had left over 2" tubing and went with his design during the entire thing. The 3 axis coupler did extremely well offroad and 500+ mile round trip to NMW. No complaints. All items were bought from Tractor Supply which was a plus.

Dinoot Prototype D793b19a
    Dinoot Prototype 3b8523eb
    Dinoot Prototype C41ca804

I went ahead and tore everything down so that I could get a good coat of truck bedliner on everything to ensure there is maximum durability and rust proofing. The best part about the fiberglass shell is that itll never rot and is very durable for containing items. The tub got a coat of liner as well.

Dinoot Prototype 577c22b5
    Dinoot Prototype E0628985
    Dinoot Prototype 2a7f8768

Completed trailer finally! Took the better part of two months but I finally got it done in time for my trip to NMW. Had good company and good times and the trailer worked out very well. Some minor issues but for the most part thats to be expected with a virgin build. I look forward to continuing to build it up and make it a better base camp than what I had time to do last year. I will redo the tonneau top and see if a trailer top tent is in the workings for next year. Only time will tell.

Dinoot Prototype 26e9c1cc

Pittston Farms
    Dinoot Prototype A709BB54-9D4D-424D-A23D-7B5F9AA416D5-255-00000013EF3310AC
    Dinoot Prototype 38C8C003-26B4-4A66-A145-D472F856E81E-730-0000003BD364C10F
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Dinoot Prototype Empty Re: Dinoot Prototype

Post by MtnClimber Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:06 am

Great build! I can't wait til I start building mine! I'm not sure what it'll have for sides yet. I'd like to think I'd use that fancy high density, low molecular plastic, but 18g tin might be easier scratch

I only have a few pix of your trailer in action, here's two, both up Nawth:

Dinoot Prototype 100_2373
    Dinoot Prototype 100_2369

MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:13 am

Here's the only build picture I could find....

Dinoot Prototype 2012-08-06143645-1

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:30 am

Haha nice. That last pic wasnt staged or anything.... Laughing

Metal is definitely a great material to use, especially for durability. Had a not got a deal on my trailer, I would have built something like Scotts. Only worry is insuring that the beast doesnt rust.
    99BlackClassic
    99BlackClassic

Post by 99BlackClassic Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:57 pm

Wow that trailer is nice! Like the pics of it in action. So is it 100% finished, I see you've used it. I didn't read anything just looked at the pics.

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:59 pm

Nope not quite finished.

I'd like to get a roll out kitchen installed that has a sink, stove, and counter top attached to it that rolls out of the bed. I'd also like to have a better tonneau top attached to it with some Thule racks across the top to allow me to put a roof top tent on it as well. All in good time.
    99BlackClassic
    99BlackClassic

Post by 99BlackClassic Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:22 pm

Guess I'm sorta new to the concept of offroad trailers. didn't realize you could put all that in a trailer like that. That's really cool!
    scyr87yj
    scyr87yj

Post by scyr87yj Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:30 pm

Nice, build on the trailer. Fits the jeep really well.

Post by Guest Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:38 pm

Thank you sir. With any luck, I'm hoping it'll look just as nice behind any tow vehicle..... Twisted Evil
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:10 am

What's the track width of an FJ?......

Post by Guest Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:38 am

75" with stock tires.
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:41 am

That's alot wider. But you could swap in a wider axle if you chose Dinoot Prototype Welder
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:05 pm

What's the measurement from trailer coupler to axle hub?

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:17 pm

I can't remember. Ill get it tomorrow. With all this warm weather I'm gonna bring it in the garage and start working on the pullout kitchen/table setup.

Post by Guest Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:31 am

Ok,

so I found exactly what it is kitchen wise, so I'm gonna start working on this to better the trailer. I ran out of propane to heat the garage so im at the mercy of when the propane guy will get here next but temps look reasonable this coming week so we'll see.

First and fore most, I gotta get a better top on the rig. I'm going to be headed down to Fat Andy's in N. Yarmouth to pick up a 5x5' piece of baltic birch to get this tonneau project started. I was really wanting some larger Thule racks but I'll probably just use the stock Cherokee racks that I got from Jareb, they would look nice as well. Here is the build on it. http://dinoot.com/index.php/building-one/10-general/24-plywood-hard-cover

Next, I'll start the kitchen build. Here is a Youtube video on my proposed plan. Ill have to do something a little different with the tail gate as I have a drop down vs. the swing out. I could easily do the swing out as well. Time will tell, as I also have to worry about the tail light lens if I do swing out.

Check this out, this is what Im shooting for. Only foreseeable issue i can see is to try and keep the propane stove as far away from the area on top of the tonneau cover as possible, as this is eventually where I'd like to see a RTT one day.

MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:50 am

I have a set of Yakima bars and feet you can have. I bought them for the XJ, cuz the seller said they came off one. WRONG. way too short. And of course, they wouldn't take them back.
    Again, yours for the taking. I can get the exact length once you tell me the measurement from the trailer coupler to axle hub. Razz

Plan ahead. Once you figure out what side you want the RTT to open up on, place the stove on the other side. You'll be amazed at how much heat is blocked for the supplied shields on the stove.

Post by Guest Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:26 pm

Sold! Measurements are a little difficult because the tire is actually getting in the way but I'd guess its right around 90"'s give or take an inch.

Post by Guest Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:30 pm

Also, Im thinking at this time I'd like the RTT opening to face towards the passenger side.
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:57 pm

Bars are 52" long.

My current donor trailer is 112" hub-to-couplah...

Last edited by MtnClimber on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Barrows
    Barrows

Post by Barrows Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:00 pm

Chris,

The kitchen in the video is full of great ideas. Are you going to add as much detail to yours? It seems like a great idea I am just wondering if the dinoot is wide enough to accommodate all the details.

Post by Guest Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:20 pm

I too thought about this Matt. I'm thinking of two options to deal with this dependent on the size. I of course would like it to be as big as possible. So these are my thoughts.

Just go with the width of the Jeep tailgate and make a fold out as seen in the video. Also make the tail gate swing out like the Wrangler and add the fold down table.

Next. Build a long version that runs the length of the trailer on one side, probably drivers side. It pulls out long ways out of the back of the tail gate until at least half is pulled through the door. Then I'll have a swivel plate under the kitchen section but attached to the piece of wood that is on the sliders inside the trailer. Swivel it out so that the kitchen is facing the rear ie perpendicular to the back of the trailer as seen in the video. Ill get a drawing up later. Time to head out to the mall for the wifey. Boots and sweaters are in order....ahhhhh
    Barrows
    Barrows

Post by Barrows Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:40 pm

You know we are from maine when we think boots and sweaters are sexy.... jocolor

Looking forward to your build plans.
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:47 pm

It's getting warmer out there and the snow is melting. Any progress on your trailer?

Post by Guest Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:53 am

Funny you should ask. I will be starting on a new top for it as soon as Fat Andy's in N. Yarmouth has a 5x5 piece of Baltic Birch in stock. This will be much sturdier in an effort to have a great platform for an RTT.

After that, I will begin the kitchen build and see where it takes me. Today will most likely be a plans day but we'll see. I may pull it in the garage.

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:56 pm

Ok did a quick sketchup of what Im thinking Im going to get this thing to look like. I would also like to mount a Camp Chef water heater near the sink, which is on the left hand side. I will mount the whole setup inside on two drawer slides and then a swivel under the stove. It will be able to pull out all the way and have the setup facing the passenger side, or I will be able to swivel it around and position as you see it in the picture. Very rough sketch of what is in my mind. Thinking now, I may swap the sink and stove but we'll see when I get the plywood.

Drawers will be rubbermade style plastic pull outs that will have the chassis mounted inside and give the abilities of the drawers to pull out without a hitch.

Dinoot Prototype CamperKitchen

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:24 am