Northeast Overland

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northeast Overland is Maine's leading self reliant adventure travel community in the Northeast Region of the U.S. Led by a Registered Maine Guide, you can be sure that you'll have an unforgettable adventure all while we TreadLightly!

5 posters

Hiking Equipment

JeepnMP
    JeepnMP

Hiking Equipment Empty Hiking Equipment

Post by JeepnMP Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:59 am

Not sure if anyone around here likes to explore with boots, but I'd be surprised if there weren't.

Used to be a big hiker myself, went to college, lost touch with my hiker friends...blah blah blah. Last few years I've been trying to get out more even just for day hikes. Another thing I've been working on is lightening my load as I used to carry huge 40+ lbs packs for really no reason then I didn't know better. I started logging every piece of equipment I carried and put a tally mark next to it when I used it. Whatever didn't get used enough I ditched, I've definitely become the kind of person who likes lighter loads as to creature comforts.

While here in the stan I got bored and started researching ultra-light gear, and though I definitely haven't gotten to the point where I sleep in a bivy and east nothing but cold meals I did get some cool ideas. One of which is the soda can alcohol stove. I watched a few youtube videos and built one. Came ok pretty good, little more patience and I should have aperfect one.

My stove. Photobucket is pissing me off so hopefully it links from my facebook alright.

Hiking Equipment 207559_527788227201_1018700132_n

My other gear

LL Bean Men's AT 55 pack (older design)
    Hiking Equipment 38caa_B004QF4DFS_41GYdkEFKuL

LL Bean Micro Lite 2
    Hiking Equipment Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnVJvBxNrjIBTvNovMtuJKO0IrqxHvBWOk1WrTXbYLmhvipmpP

Use a closed cell zlite thermorest, and have various different rated sleeping bags down to a -20 synthetic (used to have a down that went MIA)
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Hiking Equipment Empty Re: Hiking Equipment

Post by MtnClimber Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:33 am

Same here Nick, I used to hike alot but found a set of wheels can get me there too...kinda.
    Tumbledown is a yearly hike as well as a few more in that area. Most All of my hikes are day-trippers. Even the ones along Rt 26. I have a small pack that has the intergrated hydration system. I usually pack for the weather, and a potential overnighter. Maliki is spoiled so I carry his stuff too. However my friend Scott (who has yet to join) gave me a dual side bag set-up for dogs. Hopefully I can convince Maliki to wear it with some training. But as they say, you can't teach an old dog new tricks...
    No picks of my pack, but it's a Kelty. And a few camelbacks (3), some for all seasons...
    Barrows
    Barrows

Post by Barrows Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:27 pm

I love to head out on day hikes, or light overnight. I have never been on a multi-day backpack adventure though so I might enjoy that also.

Post by Guest Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:12 pm

Also something Id like to get into. I do like my creature comforts but this fun stuff, especially for day trip kinda stuff. My last is a hike out in AZ last Feb.

Hiking Equipment IMG_0377
    Hiking Equipment IMG_0380

Squaw Peak overlooking Phoenix
    99BlackClassic
    99BlackClassic

Post by 99BlackClassic Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:28 pm

03Rubicon wrote:Also something Id like to get into. I do like my creature comforts but this fun stuff, especially for day trip kinda stuff. My last is a hike out in AZ last Feb.

Hiking Equipment IMG_0377
    Hiking Equipment IMG_0380

Squaw Peak overlooking Phoenix
    Wow anymore pics from that hike, cool to see different landscapes from the Maine one I'm so used too. JeepnMP that soda can stove is neat! How long did it take you to form that up? Also kind of a newbie but won't putting that mini stove over the fire melt the can?
    JeepnMP
    JeepnMP

Post by JeepnMP Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:59 pm

I've used it a few times here to test it out. Hasn't even discolored the can at all. The denatured alcohol doesn't seem to burn hot enough to cause any damage. The inside of the can is double lined which might help. My next project is another stove made out of an axe body spray can and a cooking pot made out of a BFC of monster.
    99BlackClassic
    99BlackClassic

Post by 99BlackClassic Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:32 am

Look forward to seeing those!

Post by Guest Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:09 am

We used to hike quite a bit before the kids arrived. The 3 year old is just starting to hold her own on the trail and the infant is still small enough to carry in the kelty. I've never done an overnight hike, and frankly with my love of creature comforts I'm not sure that really appeals to me. Day hikes however are fantastic and I'll be down for nearly anything. We've done Katahdin a number of times, Peaks Kenny, Angel Falls, lots of Acadia stuff, etc etc. Since the kids we've found a lot of local hikes in the 2-4 miles range which allow us to still be responsible parents while at the same time not turning our back to the amazing sights, sounds, and smells this state has to offer.
    Prepared Associates
    Prepared Associates

Post by Prepared Associates Wed May 08, 2013 2:06 pm

I'm big into hiking. I like the alcohol stoves like the one you built. I have been building the cat food stoves; they work pretty well. You can buy the yellow HEET bottles (fuel treatment) on sale right now that winter is over (thank God) and use that for a fuel.

For hiking check out Maine Trail Finder.com for a list of hiking/camping trails in ME.

Post by Guest Wed May 29, 2013 11:28 pm

I alternate depending upon conditions & weather, whether to bring the MSR whisperlite international of the MS pocketrocket with TI kettle
    Hiking Equipment DSC_0986
    for a pack I use a molle 10th mountain ruck
    Hiking Equipment DSC_1543

& always the thermarest
    Hiking Equipment DSC_1088

usually a fishing stick in there for good measure
    Hiking Equipment DSC_1519

if its snowy or icy you gotta have these
    Hiking Equipment DSC_1467

or these too
    Hiking Equipment RedfeatherAtlas_Snowshoes_

& this in snowy conditions & saves a lot of effort (that orange strap was temp)
    Hiking Equipment DSC_1463

& of course since you know me a hammock
    Hiking Equipment WinterHHASYM

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:37 am