Northeast Overland

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northeast Overland is Maine's leading self reliant adventure travel community in the Northeast Region of the U.S. Led by a Registered Maine Guide, you can be sure that you'll have an unforgettable adventure all while we TreadLightly!

4 posters

2000 XJ, 89k miles, what to replace?

Shoeman
    Shoeman

2000 XJ, 89k miles, what to replace? Empty 2000 XJ, 89k miles, what to replace?

Post by Shoeman Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:01 am

My XJ was a DD until two years ago. Now it's our adventure rig. That means we often end up way way out on logging roads and the like solo. The voice in the back of my head will occasionally say "hope the CPS does not decide to crap out today" and things like that. The rig is old but low mileage. For an example, 4 weeks ago the starter (the original) gave up the ghost with no warning. Luckily I was in a place that I could leave it, get a ride home, get a new one and get back to it the next day with minimum hassle. But if that had happened out in the woods it would have been a different story.
    So I'm wondering what you guys typically do about the critical parts that have not acted up but are getting old. Obviously we can't carry a spare of everything on our travels. Does it make any sense to proactively replace parts like the CPS, TPS, etc? Or do you just run on a wing and a prayer and hope no critical parts crap out at a bad time? Back in the points and coil and carb days this was not a real problem, but today...well...don't let the smoke out of any black boxes because you can't put it back in.
    Part of me says sell it, but a much newer rig and don't worry. But the XJ is long ago paid for, in good shape, cheap to insure, and I know it's maintenance history. And I hate car payments.
    Mr. Mike
    Mr. Mike

2000 XJ, 89k miles, what to replace? Empty Re: 2000 XJ, 89k miles, what to replace?

Post by Mr. Mike Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:38 pm

At 89,000 miles I would just run it. As long as you've kept up on the maintenance you shouldn't have much to worry about. If your concerned with sensors failing buy replacements and throw them in the glo e box. Your tps should last a real long time as long as it stays dry. Maybe get a crank position sensor and keep it in the truck, those will fail with no rhym or reason. I always kept a belt, a couple sensors, a u joint or two, and coolant, oil, power steering fluid on hand for long trips. The XJ and the 4.0 are a pretty reliable combo so I really don't think you'll have much to worry about if its been well taken care of.
    Mr. Mike
    Mr. Mike

2000 XJ, 89k miles, what to replace? Empty Re: 2000 XJ, 89k miles, what to replace?

Post by Mr. Mike Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:41 pm

Also worth noting, tp speak to the reliability of the drive train. My 98 had two shift solenoids go bad and left me with 1st and 3rd grear at about 150k. I was jammed up financially so I ran it. For over 10,000 miles.
    Barrows
    Barrows

Post by Barrows Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:19 pm

Personally I would bring a TPS, and CPS sensor and that is it, the starter is new and the only other thing you may need to change later is the fuel pump. You have impressively low miles on your cherokee.

Post by Guest Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:40 pm

An interesting question.

I'm going to give my take on this a bit indirectly.

Adventure travel takes us into places that are completely unfamiliar, often times away from basic services. No matter what you drive, the fact remains that if you blow a tire in the middle of nowhere, you best be able to change a tire. If you get your distributor cap wet in the middle of nowhere, you had best know how to dry it out. If you blow a universal joint, you better know how to change it (and have a spare on-board). If there are sensors you know may cause trouble, carry a spare and have the tools and knowledge to turn it into a 1 hour nuisance instead of a multi-day hike out.

The point being, no matter what you drive, it is up to you to know how to fix known and unknown deficiencies when you're truly out there, pushing limits and going where few go. Is there less chance that a brand new 2015 Toyota 4Runner will leave you stranded 80 miles from the next human being? Maybe. Maybe not. Personally, I'll take the vehicle I know over the vehicle I don't know, even if "knowing" that vehicle has me stocked with a slew of spare parts and a full kit of tools. If you know your XJ and feel confident in your abilities to keep it running when you've got the correct tools and spares with you, than for you THAT is the right rig to venture into the unknown. For me, your XJ would be the wrong tool because I know nothing about it. I know every single inch of my rig and because of that, I venture into the woods without a second thought, and my rig was "legal to drive" when yours was born. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

SG
    Shoeman
    Shoeman

Post by Shoeman Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:59 am

As of yesterday, the part I need to replace most is..the cylinder head. Crying or Very sad Looks like the 2000 XJ cylinder head crack demon got me. Had an oil change done and the steam that came off the oil as it drained was sickening. I'd flushed the heater core in January and topped off the coolant a few times since then, figured it was just burping itself, but it's more than that. Oh well. I can tackle the job myself. Just need to find a trustworthy supplier for a new head.
    It figures that this would happen on the day I had new Treadwright 215/85-16 Axioms installed. Kinda took the shine off that accomplishment. I'm gonna go drive in the snow and maybe that'll help cheer me up.

Geoff
    MtnClimber
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:28 am

Those 0331 heads are notorious for cracking between the exhaust ports of 3 & 4. Best of luck in finding a new head and the swap should be fairly straight forward. Hope you have a warm place to do the work!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:22 am