Northeast Overland is an outdoor adventure based community in the Northeast Region of the United States. We pride ourselves in the use of Treadlightly! and to provide an outlet source for individuals to come and converse about their rigs and adventures.

Trailer versus In vehicle

Wilbah

Trailer versus In vehicle

Post by Wilbah on Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:24 pm

So I have a question for folks. I love seeing the trailer builds and have always liked the idea of a well designed off road trailer. And I like the idea of parking it at a campsite while you go off fishing, exploring, wheeling etc. for the day. And for the folks with SWB Jeeps I can see the need given the space limitations. But I have a full size Yukon which I may be changing to a full size pickup in the near future (funds are limiting me if you can imagine that!  Shocked ). So for me I am thinking a drawer system in the back of the Yukon makes more sense than a trailer. Benefits would be I can bring it tailgating.....its already there for day trips (have everything with me)....I can still sleep on top of it (if designed properly). And if I want I can still trailer a fishing boat etc. behind the vehicle. I am curious of the pluses and minuses you guys see in that approach? Thanks!
    Gryphon

Re: Trailer versus In vehicle

Post by Gryphon on Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:47 pm

Going with whatever works for you. The reason I am going trailer is to have more room in the Jeep for more of my family members and all the camping stuff.

If you can do campers + camping stuff in one vehicle, I'd do that

Wilbah

Post by Wilbah on Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:06 pm

Hey Gryphon that's what I am thinking....thanks for the response. I totally get that with a Jeep you need more room so a trailer makes lot of sense. Were I doing more serious off-roading I would do the same. But I stick pretty much to dirt roads lately. Not that I don't see the benefits of a SWB vehicle for tight trails. My old FJ40 got me in (and more importantly out of!) some hairy places.  Smile 
    booth9c1ss

Post by booth9c1ss on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:37 pm

I built a two-tier loading platform for my ZR2 pickup years ago. This brought the floor up to the level of the wheel wells (14+ inches wider) so My wife and I could sleep in the back, with the gear under the "floor". I liked not having to worry about another axle or tires or lights, or turning around, or backing though or out of a mud hole, or high speed whoops of the trailer.
    FJ Boozah
    Admin

Post by FJ Boozah on Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:23 pm

Properly set up they can be a great addition to every persons stable. The benefits are huge as they provide greater space inside the tow rig, and can be a one time, get everything where it needs to be and keep it that way forever kinda platform. I use my trailer all the time for other non offroading ventures but it will now take shape into a RTT toting trailer that will just be specific for Overlanding. As far as carrying a trailer through the woods and all the nuances that go with towing one, I think the benefits far outweigh the negatives. I rarely find myself noticing that is behind whatever rig I am using and prepare my adventures knowing that both tow vehicle and trailer need to make it the complete ride. You'll have to add a few extra considerations and provisions such as another spare, possible some axle parts/spring perches and such but I enjoy mine and will proclaim their graces to whoever I meet.

Wilbah

Post by Wilbah on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:25 pm

I like that idea booth and that's exactly what I am thinking.

Boozah I get that totally. Especially as a FJ has more limited space than a fullsize. I appreciate the difference of opinion.  Smile That's the cool part about stuff like this as far as I am concerned. Everyone gets to make their own way in whatever works best for them! There is a part of me that would love a totally dedicated ORT....but as I was going through what I would want in it I found the list of what I needed to have in the tow vehicle for day trips etc. growing. Plus I like tailgating etc. where having the kitchen in the tow vehicle makes sense too. But I do like seeing how others do things. That learning can be integrated into a lot of what I want to do too which is cool.
    Mr. Mike

Post by Mr. Mike on Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:04 pm

I prefer minimalist camping. I try to fit everything I need clothing wise into a backpack, plus some blankets and my camp chair, and a cooler. For several years I used my XJ as my tent and it worked well, always stayed dry and was reasonably comfy. Next year I'll have a pickup with an 8 foot bed, so a semi-tall cap will be going on and I'll camp out of the back of the truck. The biggest issue I see when not using a trailer is fuel storage for longer, more remote trips. In an SUV you really don't want the fuel in the truck with you(especially if your a smoker)so that leaves the roof, and weight adds up quick up there making the truck top-heavy. The other downfall is having to unload any gear from the back of the truck every night to set up your sleeping area, but I guess it's a wash because it doesn't take anymore time than setting up a tent.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:51 am