Northeast Overland is an outdoor adventure based community in the Northeast Region of the United States. We pride ourselves in the use of Treadlightly! and to provide an outlet source for individuals to come and converse about their rigs and adventures.

Neat Rover and cool story

Barrows

Neat Rover and cool story

Post by Barrows on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:35 am

The other day at work (Lowes) I was walking the parking lot and picking up carts when I saw this great Defender 110 pick up in RAF blue. I drooled over it for a bit and then snapped two quick photos of it. I thought that it was pretty neat that it was being used since it such a rare truck in the states.

I went back in the store and proceeded to work with my cashiers and some paperwork when a code 50 went off overhead. That means someone needs help to the car. I was expecting it be a little old lady with a plant or gallon of paint like it can be. I went over to help and saw a fit older gentleman with shelving materials, and garage organizing materails, tool cabinets etc. I was expecting him to try and load this into a pirus like normal when he said to look for a blue truck. I ask him is it was a Land Rover truck and he smilled proudly and said yes. Now that part is pretty cool but the story gets better. As I was loading all of the gear in his truck I asked if he had ECR (East coast Rover) do the work, he replied there is a funny story about that.....

He bought the now truck brand new in 1994, in Rode Island. It was a Defender 90 with a soft top in royal air force blue. A few years later he was towing a sailboat and trailer on the highway in CT and was rear ended. The accident caused the boat and trailer to flip up and crush the roof of the defender 90 and rear tub. His insurance totaled the defender 90 out and he never saw it again. He was traveling up here to his summer home and he happened to visit Mike Smith who owns East Coast Rover, in search of a older rover. Mike didn't have anything that met his needs but said he had just finished a truck that he might be interested in. The truck was the Defender 110 you see here.

It turns out that ECR bought the truck wrecked from the auction and converted it to a d110 truck with all factory pieces. The original owner then found the truck years later a few states away and bought it back. He said it has never left the state of maine in fifteen years and it is written into his will to passed down to his grandkids.

I think this link is the build up of the Rover....http://www.eastcoastrover.com/ECR2.html
    99BlackClassic

Re: Neat Rover and cool story

Post by 99BlackClassic on Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:39 am

That is a beautiful looking truck and awesome story to go with it, one of those meant to be stories. Cool find Barrows.
    FJ Boozah
    Admin

Post by FJ Boozah on Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:40 am

Very cool. I would love to have one of those one day...I'm liking they are uber capable too in stock form.

Post by xjman88 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:00 am

Barrows thanks for sharing. Awesome story there. Nice rig too.
    AllanR

Post by AllanR on Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:16 pm

Im a Little late on this, But what an awesome story. And a Very Cool rig.
    Silvanus

Post by Silvanus on Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:22 pm

Love those trucks!

Fate's pretty cool sometimes, Thanks for sharing that story Mr. B!
    Kraftwork Orange

Post by Kraftwork Orange on Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:22 am

Nice!  Got to love a High-Cap!

Looks just like the Arles Blue 110 Hi-Cap my old business partner and I had and sold to 50 Cent's manager.

Ours started as a Series 3 109"...then sort of morphed from there with a '94 Disco and a couple Ro-Ro's from Great Britain.
    Barrows

Post by Barrows on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:40 am

That is a great looking 109, I love the canvas bed cover.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:51 am