Northeast Overland is an outdoor adventure based community in the Northeast Region of the United States. We pride ourselves in the use of Treadlightly! and to provide an outlet source for individuals to come and converse about their rigs and adventures.

Looking for some help!

Mongoose Maine

Looking for some help!

Post by Mongoose Maine on Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:10 pm

I'm trying to get my lights wired in on the back of my car. I brought my car to the dealer ship to have it done and they wanted 4hrs labor = 320$. I can't justify spending that much on having the wiring done, is anybody willing to help?
    https://i37.servimg.com/u/f37/19/40/17/39/img_1817.jpg
    https://i37.servimg.com/u/f37/19/40/17/39/img_1818.jpg
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Re: Looking for some help!

Post by MtnClimber on Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:53 am

Are you trying to have them come on w the backup lights or from a separate switch?

They're a simple 2 wire light, however they are hot and ground specific, ie they'll work one way but not the other (wire 'A' to power, wire 'B' to ground won't work, so you swap power to 'B' & ground to 'A' and it'll work)

Mongoose Maine

Post by Mongoose Maine on Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:36 am

Besides not mechanically inclined, I don't have a lift or a garage. ( I will be running them off of a toggle switch.) I think I'm going to relocate the lights under the rear bumper which will require some drilling, but as far as running the wiring it should be a little bit easier, I would think. From watching some videos I have somewhat of an idea of what I'm doing. The video that I watched explains that I would have to run the power source from the battery to through the fire wall to the switch location then from there I would run the rest of the wiring harness from the switch down through the e-brake and along the frame to the lights. I feel kinda confident but it would be nice to have someone that knows what there doing around to ask questions or to correct me if I'm doing it wrong.
    booth9c1ss

Post by booth9c1ss on Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:13 pm

Instead, I would run the wiring inside the car, exiting out through a rear grommet (tail light for example).

For power supply, just tap off some in the passenger compartment like the cig lighter (always hot, so always available), ignition power (usually at the radio; only available when key is on so you don't kill your battery), parking light switch (only available when the lights are on)... then to the fuse and switch.  Those led light draw a minimal amount of power.

You could get a 12v plug and mock it up. It would allow you to practice with a fused source. Then once you are satisfied, wire it into the car (12v fused source and ground).

You don't need a garage. I've done wheel bearings, motor mounts, wiring projects, etc out in the rain/snow, mud/snow, in the dark with a flashlight, and occasionally dry gravel on a sunny day.

Steve
    FJ Boozah
    Admin

Post by FJ Boozah on Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:35 pm

I'd be willing to help, but I'm a ways away from you.

I would pick up about 30' of red, 14 or 16 gauge wire that you can run from the front of the car to the lights. Maybe 10' of black wire in the same gauge. You can ground out the lights to a closer source then running the wire all the way back to the battery, etc.

I'd then pick up two add a fuses to power the lights.

P.S. If you are planning on running additional accessories in the rear of the car then I would just go ahead and wire up a fuse block that you can tap into later.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:29 am