Northeast Overland is an outdoor adventure based community in the Northeast Region of the United States. We pride ourselves in the use of Treadlightly! and to provide an outlet source for individuals to come and converse about their rigs and adventures.

2008 suzuki SX4

Mongoose Maine

2008 suzuki SX4

Post by Mongoose Maine on Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:50 pm

I'm looking to mount a small winch on the front of my car as well as some recovery points. My car weights under 3000lbs and I'm looking for a small affordable winch will this work,
    Smittybilt XRC4 4,000 Pound ATV / UTV Winch ?
    FJ Boozah
    Admin

Re: 2008 suzuki SX4

Post by FJ Boozah on Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:53 pm

It's always recommended to buy a winch that is 1.5 times the maximum weight your vehicle will ever be. Being stuck creates tremendous amounts of stress and the easier you can make it on a proper winch the better all the adjoining components will fair. Look into at least a 5500 for just a few dollars more and be confident that all your hard work getting the winch installed will be worth it.

Post by booth9c1ss on Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:59 pm

It might work but not well.

Consider the gross weight of your car (GVW) to include the car, people, fluids, and cargo. The winch should be able to pull this load on not only the first wrap of the cable/rope, but the last.
    For example, I use a 8k winch on my ZR2 that weighs in at 4500lbs.

I would recommend a 6k winch, if one is available.

Does your car have a frame or is it unibody? How will you attach your winch? There is a lot of force generated from winching. This needs to be well attached for not only your safety but anyone around you... let alone keeping your car in one piece and drivable.

Steve
    Mongoose Maine

Post by Mongoose Maine on Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:14 pm

I guess I have a lot to think about. I would have to use a universal winch mount and have it welded to the frame.
    Countryhandyman

Post by Countryhandyman on Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:35 pm

It never hurts to have extra winch capacity, as others have stated. Just be certain your mount is well attached and in a way that helps spread the load. You wouldn't want to become a YouTube fail video, or worse, get injuries
    MtnClimber
    Admin

Post by MtnClimber on Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:40 am

You can just bolt it the the unitbody of your car. A Jeep Cherokee is a unitbody construction and look at the forces that are implied on those bad larry's. You just need to consider more attachment points (more bolts) than if it were attached to a frame. (say 8 points on yours versus only 4 on a Wrangler (full frame))
    Welding a winch plate onto a unitbody is only going to fatigue the welded area's of the unitbody and actually weaken it.

Steve forgot to mention his calculation which is always a great rule of thumb; you want a winch capable of pulling 1.5x the total weight during it's weakest pull.
    For example; his 4500# truck multiplied by 1.5 = 6750. So he wants a winch that'll pull that at it's weakest wrap layer, generally the top wrap. You can find these winch specs anywhere via google Wink
    And mind you these are during a nice flat, free rolling condition, not uphill in the mud with a head wind lol!

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:42 am

So my 8k lb winch pulling my 10k lb rig isn't a good idea then?

Smile

There are of course caveats to every good rule which should be at least mentioned here. If you are willing to bring along some extra recovery gear and can live with shorter pull distances than you can get by with a smaller winch. You can easily multiply your pulling power by using pulleys (the cool kids call them snatch blocks). I can turn my 8000 pound winches into 16000 lb winches with a single pulley, and can take that 16000lb pull and multiply it to 32000 lbs with a second pulley. The problem with this line of thinking (and my common practice) is that every time you use a pulley you use 2X as much winch line. I carry 150ft of cable on the front of my rig, so when I want 16000 lbs of pull I only have 75ft of cable (because you have to double the hook on the end of the cable back to the bumper). If I want 32000 lbs of pull I only get 37.5 ft of cable. If you're not within close distance to anchor points than you'll need extensions which are rated at least 2X beyond the pull force you're potentially putting into the line. As a side note which doesn't directly influence this discussion, most 16000lb winches only carry 80ft of usable cable.

As others have stated, once you start getting into serious recovery loads the danger factor goes up exponentially. I have been within ear shot of a winch cable that let go under load and it is not something you want to be anywhere near....extremely dangerous. Same with hooks the break, straps that snap, etc. Very very lethal forces at work.

If you can afford the expense and weight of a larger winch than it is always a better way to go, but it isn't the ONLY way to go. The weight savings of a smaller winch and more recovery gear vs a larger winch and less recovery gear is likely a wash, so it comes down to cost and sometimes the distribution of that weight. A large winch up front is a mass which affects your suspension and handling. A smaller winch up front and extra recovery gear in the trunk balance the load better amongst the chassis. In my rig this is a pointless discussion, but for a small car it could be a big consideration.  

Also, I can't afford 16000lb winches...

SG
    booth9c1ss

Post by booth9c1ss on Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:22 am

Another thing to consider is the type of driving you do. I suspect that when Spence gets stuck, it is merely a loss of traction and a small tug or an undersized winch will be able to pull him onto better ground. On the other hand, if you go careening into a mud bog or go rock crawling, the winch will need to work harder.

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:47 am

booth9c1ss wrote: I suspect that when Spence gets stuck, it is merely a loss of traction and a small tug or an undersized winch will be able to pull him onto better ground.  

Well, driving smart is part of my recovery strategy Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:40 am